Thursday, August 24, 2017

Non-Dairy Milk ~ Part 7



ripple

https://www.ripplefoods.com/




(Pour peas?)


As much as I like peas (and don't even get me started on how tasty snow pea shoots/greens/tips[1] are), somehow, I really do not think these should ever be made into a morning breakfast drink...

The other day I noticed a new(-ish) product in the non-dairy milk refrigerated section at my local grocery store (ripple Unsweetened Original Nutritious Pea Milk) and figured it would be interesting to try another, different non-dairy milk product (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, February 13th, 2016) for a change. It was on sale and was just a little cheaper (it normally is priced about twice what actual bovine milk would be for an equivalent size) than the brand of good almondmilk that I have normally been buying (Califia Farms® Unsweetened Pure Almondmilk), so I figured it had to be somewhat good.

Unfortunately, it failed miserably on both the "on cold cereal in the morning" and the "tall glassa with cookies" tests. (I do not bake, so I really can not say how it would work in those kind of recipes.) The flavour just was not very good. It was not completely horrible, but I just could not get used to the taste. They also offer this in Chocolate and Vanilla flavours; however, I can not see how that would be an improvement, but more of an insult to both Chocolate and Vaniller.

I probably should have known better. I have had Pea Ice Cream before (at The Ice Cream Bar[2] in Cole Valley/the Haight) and it was one of the stranger flavours that I was really not that fond of.

So, unless you happen to be either lactose-intolerant and/or a Vegan that is also allergic to tree nuts (even though, technically, almonds are not really a nut), coconut, and/or soy products (and are already acutely aware of how truly vile hempmilk is), I do not think that I could honestly recommend this particular non-dairy milk product in good faith (or even in bad faith to those smarmy Veganite-types). 

And I don't care what that other famous part-time vegetarian, John Lennon, once sang, do not ever 
"Give Peas a Chance"!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
ripple Unsweetened Original Nutritious Pea Milk ~ 5.2 
(and that is with a verrrry generous GBS Rating there)

(Whereas: 
100% organic Bovine Milk ~ 8.3;
Almondmilk ~ 7.0 - 8.2 [depending on the brand and/or flavour];
Coconutmilk ~ 7.0;
Hazelnutmilk ~ 6.9;
Cashewmilk ~ 6.8; 
Flaxmilk ~ 6.7; 
Ricemilk ~ 6.5; 
Soymilk ~ 5.8;
Hempmilk ~ 5.0 [ugggh! and I am only including it here on the list with the rest of these because I did try it... once... never again])

___________________

1. http://www.flavorandfortune.com/dataaccess/article.php?ID=307

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/01/seriously-asian-snow-pea-tips.html

http://thewoksoflife.com/2013/06/stir-fried-snow-pea-leaves-with-garlic/

2. http://theicecreambarsf.com/

Their Basil Ice Cream is truly exceptional, though. It is one of my favourite locally-produced Ice Creams when available.

No comments:

Post a Comment