Sunday, August 27, 2017

Rise & Grind


Richmond (District) Coffeehouses
33-1/3 rpm, B-Side

"Now malted milk balls of love are hunting
I've always been a coward
And I don't know what's good for me..." ♫ 



(No official web-site that I could locate.)


Place: Rise & Grind

Location: 785 8th Avenue (near Fulton Street); 
phonicular contact: (415) 795-0724

Hours: open at 7:00am Monday through Friday; 
open at 8:00am Saturday and Sunday

Meal: Avocado Toast ~ fresh avocado, a dab of mayo (which is a dab more than needed in my book), topped with a soft boiled egg and red chile flakes; and (the reason for my return-visit, anyway) a Whopper(s)® Latte (replete with crushed pieces of the candy on top, too)





(For today's EweToobular juxtaselections ratiocination, please see the "mini-dog" rant below.)


Because today is "Laundry-day, right?!" and I wanted to keep it basically local again, and because it was a great morning (the Sun was even out early for a change [anyone that has ever visited San Francisco in June, July, or August can attest that San Francisco Summers do not generally start until late-August/early-September]), I drove over to my favourite newest (after Orson's Belly ~ which may not have as many crazy-sounding/tasting Coffee-drinks, but they do have a bit more food from which to choose and their Coffee-basis [De La Paz] is an excellent choice, too) Richmond (District) Coffeehouse, Rise & Grind (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, October 16th, 2016). Even though it is only twenty-eight blocks away (and another twenty-eight blocks back-away), I didn't feel like hoofing it all the way over (and back); call me lazy.

I was very happy to see that since my first visit (which was just a few weeks after they had initially opened), they have added several more breakfastary food idea items to their menu. Ferinstance: 

Frittata Sandwich ~ eggs baked with cheese, tomatoes, bacon bits (which I would have bit-86-ed, if possible), and garlic aioli between two slices of toast w/ crispy onions and potato chips (I am pretty sure the crispy onions are in the sandwich and the potato chips are on the side);

Breakfast Bunwich Sandwich (and, yes, I am aware of the redundantly superfluocity of the "Sandwich" part of the name) ~ hard boiled egg with fresh avocado, cheese, bacon (once again, if possible, no thanks!), and aioli served between a fresh bun;

and two new waffle-entries:

Matcha Waffle ~ organic matcha with powdered sugar and matcha icing;

and (what I will have to try on my next visit)

Ube Waffle ~ sweet purple yam.

Additionally, they have also added some other very interesting Coffee-drinks ideas: 

Peanut Butter Latte (which may be another "excuse" to get back there again soon; I was informed that this is made with organic peanutbutter [not that anyone would really be able to discern "organic" from "inorganic" peanutbutter when it is in a Coffee-drink, anyway]; I suggested that this would be even more disgustinger [i.e. mucho bettero] if they actually made the foam/froth on top with a peanutbutter foam [I watch wayyyyyy too many food network shows]; however, they told me that they don't have the right equipment to do that; pity); 

Salted Caramel Latte

Biscoff® Cookie Butter Latte (another probable "excuse" for a return-visit); 

Spicy Mocha

Black Sesame Latte

lattetc.





Yes, this Coffee-drink was just as disgustingly 'orrible (read: very good!) as it sounds. In other words, I liked it a lot ~ just not as much as their truly inventive (and "omagawd-ish") Crème Brûlée Latte (which is my touchstone for all future visits), but it is still highly recommendation-worthy all on its ownsome.

"mini-dog" rant

Just what the h*ck is up with small dog-owners thinking that their flea-bitten, mangy little mutts don't have to follow the local Health Code rules of no dogs in a place that serves food? I am only mentioning this as there was a cute pupster (inside) at the table next to mine while I was eating my breakfast. Now, I love dogs of all shapes and sizes, and I really don't care if it is "sanitary" or not (even when they are licking their own butts, I bet they are still cleaner than most hipster doofi, anyway), I just think it is obnoxious of the owners to think that they are "special" and don't have to follow the laws. I wonder how grocery stores/restaurants/coffeehouses/
cafés/etcs. would react if someone came in with an English Mastiff, Great Dane, or Irish Woolfhound (or howzabout a pack of Siberian Huskies, Mrs. Blankenship?). I am not saying that if you have a guide-dog or a viable support-dog that you shouldn't be able to bring them inside; that is not the case or my point. Bottom-line, people (and calling some of these self-centered, idiotic dog-owners "people" is being more than a bit charitable), just because no one complains to the management when you do this annoying thing, does not mean it is alright for you to do so. "mini-dog" rant over... for now...





This was a pretty simple breakfast and a nice rendition of an Avocado Toast. If you have ever visited a coffeehouse/café-joint in the past year, it seems that Avocado Toast is the new pomegranate; it is as ubiquitous as the word "ubiquitous" lately.

I didn't really bother to see what Rise & Grind might offer in the way of any condimentary supplements. I just used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on top of the soft boiled egg. Sure, the chilli flakes already had some spice to them, but Palo Alto Fire Fighters 
Pepper Sauce just makes everything taste better.

And just once I would love to see someone bring their "support-horse" into a coffeeshop with them... 
"... 'cause here they come..." ♫ !


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Whopper(s)® Latte ~ 7.1;
Avocado Toast ~ 6.5;
Dogs of all sorts (even those little, nippy, ankle-biters) ~ 9.0

No comments:

Post a Comment