Saturday, February 17, 2018

grindz


"They may take our first name... but they will never take our Puka French Toast!"[1] 
~ Sir William Kalani Paiʻea Wohi o Kaleikini Kealiʻikui Kamehameha o ʻIolani i Kaiwikapu kauʻi Ka Liholiho Kūnuiākea Wallace



http://www.grindzrestaurant.com/


Place: grindz

Location: 832 Clement Street 
(between 9th and 10th Avenues)

Hours: open Saturday & Sunday at 9:00am for "Brunch"

Meal: Puka French Toast ~ brioche, piña berry compote, vanilla Chantilly; a side of potatoes; and a cuppa (and two full refillas) Bicycle Coffee co 

https://www.bicyclecoffeeco.com/





(I am sure that Bruddah Iz loved him some Puka French Toast, too.)


Sometimes you just want to keep it local and simple for breakfast, so I simply located myself back to  grindz 
(see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, February 18th, 2017... so, simply-exactly one year ago) again this morning.

My attentive and knowledgeable (we talked about Bicycle Coffee co a bit) server-dude this morning was Chase. He did a great job plying and 
re-plying me with the good Coffee stuff.




I only have kine words to say about this dish! Sure, I may have ordered this same meal on my last visit, but that was the first time that I had ever had it in the (at the time) five years that I had been going there. What can I say? It made the #3 spot on "My Favourites" of 2017 for a reason. They offer this as a "half" (1 piece) or "full" (2 pieces) order. (Now why would anyone want just one piece?!) I am not exactly sure what is in their piña berry compote, but I think there were at least some blackberries-and/or-raspberries (both of which are not botanical berries, of course; however, the fruit of the pineapple tree is considered "coalesced berries"; go figger) and blueberries (now this is an actual botanical berry, Chuck). Luckily, I did get a lot more of the tasty compote this time than last year. I bet this French toast would also be great with their Li Hing Pineapples (ripe pineapples dusted with Li Hing powder [ground dried plum skin]) and/or coconut crème Anglaise (which they use on their Apple Banana Pancakes; I can attest to this being a very good topping, too) on top.

Unfortunately, once again they have stopped serving their extremely good Plantation Potatoes, but the current homefries version was still very good.




grindz offers two of their own homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) condimentary supplements: The Original Hawaiian Ketchup and The Original Chili Pepper Water. Because I already have a bottle of their ketchup in my refrigerator, I used a good bit of the Chili Pepper Water on the potatoes... and because I brought it with me (specifically for this deliberately disgustingly diabolical purpose), I used some of my own (just a hihihi[2] dusting really) 
Charlie's Chili Stuff by Thyme Farm Vinegars 
(Thanks, Sharon!) on one of the slices of French toast. (Don't you dare judge me!) Just as I had expected, it really went very nicely, too!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Puka French Toast ~ 7.6;
Bicycle Coffee co ~ 7.2;
Bruddah Iz ~ 7.8

___________________

1. Even if those greedy corporate bastages at Ono Hawaiian BBQ made them change their name a few years back, dis is still some of the ono-est grindz, bruddah!

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

According to Google Translate (and I can not believe that they even offer a Hawai'ian-English choice) the translation for "a skosh" in Hawai'ianese is "hihihi".

No comments:

Post a Comment