Sunday, February 25, 2018

Buck's of Woodside


A breakfastary/lunch roadtrip:
Woodside, CA[1]



http://buckswoodside.com/


Place: Buck's of Woodside - Flapjacks and Tomfoolery

Location: 3062 Woodside Road, Woodside (imagine that), CA

Hours: open at 7:00 am during the week and 8:00 am on the weekend and 8:00 am most holidays

Meal: (well, mine, there were just too many other people at the table to get everyone else's meals down) Huevos Rancheros ~ with homemade (well, restaurant-made) tortillas






A friend of mine (that would be the "Luke" in the above Stevite) is retiring (at only 62 ~ lucky him) and moving out of state (to Austin, Texas ~ again, lucky him) so a bunch of friends got together for breakfast (because I had skipped any real breakfast this morning, I am claiming this as a very late one for me)/lunch at Buck's of Woodside. There ended up being a total of fourteen of us at breakfast/lunch today. I pointed this out to Luke and mentioned that he was just lucky there were not thirteen at the table, as that would not bode very well for his immediate future (or he might have to plan on a very short retirement and a resurrection-employment in three days or so).




(1st photo, left-to-right: Nigel, Steve, Rich, Markham, Zaria, Jeannette, Carol [whose name I did not actually see on the Stevite, but we let her join us, anyway], Luke, Hiromi's son [yeah, I have met him a few times now, but I still forget his name], Jerry, Pam, and Hiromi)

(2nd photo, left-to-right: basically the same group of usual suspects, but with me in place of Nigel and less Jeannette who went to aid Nigel in photographing the group)




This was an excellent rendition of the classic Mexican breakfast dish (even if it was well after Noon by the time we had ordered and been served ~ "'Brunch'?! We don' need no stinkin' 'Brunch'!"). Their salsa ranchera was muy sabroso; plus, they use both black beans and pinto beans as the side. Of particular note (♪), they serve some mighty good homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) tortillas. A lot of times Huevos Rancheros are served with the tortillas under the pile o' junk, but I was glad that these were served on the side so they were kept hot and fresh and did not sog-up.

I have had this exact same meal before at Buck's 
(probably about nine-ten years ago now), and knew it to be very good. So, unless there happened to be another really interesting breakfast/lunch special, I knew I was going to be getting it again. Of course, I was not the only intelligent person at the table to order the Huevos Rancheros; at least Luke, David, Zaria, and Carol also ordered this same meal.

Markham ~ sitting on my right hand (which really made it difficult to eat with just my left hand) ~ did order their special lunch salad, The Perfect Salad ~ sunflower seed sprouts, chopped kale (okay, so this would be "The Perfect Salad" for anyone not named "Sean"), red and green cabbage, dried cranberries, toasted sesame seeds, almonds and peanuts; raw sunflower seeds tossed with a passionfruit/guava vinaigrette, with melted Gruyère crostini[2]. It looked very good and he seemed to enjoy it. This probably would have been my first choice, too, if I was not set on ordering the Huevos Rancheros; I would probably just have had them add a poached egg on top to qualify it more breakfastarily.

For condimentary supplements, Buck's had both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Cholula® Hot Sauce (Original). However, I really did not want to mess with the original (good) flavour of their salsa ranchera in any way and opted for no extra hot sauces on my dish for a change.

After all was ordered and eaten, I was very sad to see that no one had opted for a side of Tomfoolery with their meal, though...


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Huevos Rancheros ~ 7.2;
good friends and company ~ 8.5

___________________

1. http://www.woodsidetown.org/

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

"Crostini" simply means "little crusts" in Italiano. The singular is "crostino".

No comments:

Post a Comment