Saturday, February 24, 2018

Mo'z café




https://masonicave.mozcafesanfrancisco.com/


Place: Mo'z café

Location: 5 Masonic Avenue 
(on the corner of Geary Boulevard)

Hours: open every day at 7:00am

Meal: the Corner Crepe ~ Cheddar cheese, onions, tomato, Greek olives, roasted bell peppers, pesto, Feta, and pine nuts, with a choice of sides; and to drink a Peach-Pear-Apricot Smoothie



(If you did not know that Ellas Otha Bates was a big fan of Feta and crêpes, you don't know Diddley!)


It was straight down Geary Boulevard (well, about forty-three blocks or so) to the corner of Masonic Avenue for a return visit to Mo'z café (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, June 24th, 2017) for me this morning. I really like that there is a place close enough to my apartment (well, again, about forty-three blocks away) that serves very good crêpes.

It was extremely cold this morning (by San Francisco standards, at least; probably just not as "wicked cold" as some people up in New England have had this Winter) when I started out for breakfast. It is not often that you see actual frost on cars in San Francisco. Because of this, I decided to wimp-out (wimp-it good!) and remain inside the café to eat and not sit outside in their large sidewalk café area; even though it is a covered area with windbreaker sides, it was still way too cold to do so.

I spoke to the guy at the counter, who just happened to be named Mo (I do not think that he is any relation to the guy in the restaurant's name), about how this location offers some more/different crêpes than the original 5th Street shop. Mo told me that he is trying to standardize that original menu with more of these new items, too. Apparently the kitchen in this newer location is much better-equipped for more items.

Just a few more of these location-specific items that I will need to get back to try one of these days:

5 Masonic ~ Mozzarella, Cheddar cheese, onion, tomato, mushroom, spinach, walnuts (really?!?? that sounds like a strange enough addition that I would definitely like to try this), cottage cheese (however, this is one ingredient which I would have to have omitted), and Marinara sauce;

Amore Omelette ~ avocado, black bean chili (it does not specify if this is vegetarian-friendly or not, but I would have to ask before ordering this one), salsa, Cheddar cheese, and sour cream;

or 

Romano Omelette ~ spinach, Greek olives, and Feta.




With all of the other good junk stuffed into this crêpe, I don't even remember tasting any pine nuts in it or not. H*ck, I don't think it really even needed any pesto in it either, and I love pesto. It really didn't matter as this included lots of Feta bits (and not any of them crummy crumblies, but actual good-sized 1/4" chunks). And the "Greek olives" in it were not just any ol' απλές ελληνικές ελιές, but (pitted) αυθεντικές ελιές Καλαμών!

For sides (or four sides) they offer a choice of either homefries (house potatoes), hashbrowns, some kinda rabbit-food lettucey stuff, or some boring ol' fruity-cup. I went with the side choice of homefries ~ which was a very smart move because this was a huge pile o' extra crispy, crunchy potatoes, too.

I really enjoyed the smoothie, too. It was made simply with fresh fruits and ice in a blender. I liked this specific combination of fruits in the smoothie. However, because it was already so cold this morning, I probably shoulda gotten a warm/hot drink instead. (I would say that I got a brain-freeze from drinking this too quickly, but anyone that knows me would know that really wouldn't take but a snowflake or two to do so.)

Mo'z café offers Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce 
(both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce for use as condimentary supplementation. I had brought a few of my own hot sauces and used some Old St. Augustine Snake Bite Datil Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) ~ just six to seven dashes ~ on top of the crêpe and some H*ll's Kitchen® Chipotle Chocolate Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) ~ this one I used a lot more liberally, about like a normal liberal (or conservative) person might use ketchup ~ all over the potatoes.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
the Corner Crepe ~ 6.9;
Peach-Pear-Apricot Smoothie ~ 6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment