Sunday, March 4, 2018

green chile kitchen


Tamales ta-day!

Mr. XV Pay-It-Forward 
Memorial Weekend #8 (continued)



http://www.greenchilekitchen.com/


Place: green chile kitchen

Location: 1801 McAllister Street
(on the corner of Baker Street)

Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Friday at 10:00am; "Brunch" available Saturday & Sunday at 9:00am 
(now why they call the early morning meal that they serve during the week "breakfast" when they open an hour later than on the weekends is beyond me)

Meal: Migas ~ eggs, crispy tortilla strips, green chile, tomatillo avocado salsa & cotija w/ black beans; one Cheese Tamal (see, the correct singular form of this word en español is actually "tamal"; consider that a freebie stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day); and a large glassa Horchata[1]





(Okay, sorry, but the completely un-PC-ocity of the 
first song notwithstanding, it did fit nicely into the whole EweToobular[2] juxtaselection of "tamales"/"tomorrow" for me. 
[Are Mexican Liberals that are easily b*tt-hurt called "Copos de Nieve"?])


Because I wanted to "wrap it all up" (corn husks or not) nicely this weekend with "tamales", etc. (see yesterday's silly li'l 'blog-entry-thing for that explanation), I made a purposeful decision to go back to green chile kitchen (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, March 18th, 2017 ~ almost exactly a year ago... well, if "almost exactly" means give-or-take a week or two). This is such a great place for desayuno ("Brunch"-ayuno, whatever)! (Why did it take me nine years to "discover" it, though?!) If I lived in the Haight (or Lower Haight or Western Addition), this place would easily be in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation; it is just that good and tasty.

I have not had one bad meal there yet (granted, it has only been four visits thus far, but even in Baseballese, that is still batting, like, .400 or such, right?!) and there are still a few more dishes that I want to try; ferexample:

Eggs & Greens (¡Pero no jamón, Sam, yo soy!) ~ scrambled eggs, sautéed greens, brown rice, avocado, & pico de gallo (add chicken / pork 2, add steak 3... ¡No, gracias! to all of those for me);

Healthy Breakfast Bowl ~ scrambled eggs, beans, chile, lettuce, guacamole & pico de gallo (add chicken / pork 2, add steak 3... again, ¡No, gracias! to all of those for me);

Huevos Rancheros ~ corn tortilla, 2 fried eggs, chile, cheese & crema, served w/ refried beans;

Flat Enchilada Plate ~ housemade (well, kitchen-made) corn tortillas, eggs, meat, chile, cheese & sour cream served w/ posole & beans (this one intrigues me the most, and if it can be made vegetarian-friendly 
[I am sure they can always omit any dead, decaying animal flesh, but I am not sure how they make their posole], I will most likely order this on my next visit... hopefully not in a year [or fifty weeks] from now).





I like that their tamales (which is the pluralization of "tamal") are made with blue corn and this one had a nice surprise of a New Mexico green chile in the middle, kinda like a New Mexican version of Twinkies® 
(well, if Twinkies® were made with corn and cheese and not some kinda plastic with silicon filling)... I would normally go with a side order of potatoes, but wanted to make sure and order some kinda tamales side-dish for this specific weekend.




This was also made with blue corn tortilla strips. While this is not exactly the same dish as Chilaquiles, it is close enough for this gringo (See? My b*tt never aches when someone calls me a "Gringo!"... besides, I have to laugh and tell them I am not of Greek ancestry.[3]) and I liked it mucho. Surprisingly, even with the addition of the tamal, this was just about the right amount of food for me. I had thought of also ordering another one of their Vegan Sweet Potato Tamal (which I had on a previous visit and really enjoyed), but that probably would have "exceeded the limit, sir!" for my appetite.

For condimentary supplements, green chile kitchen offers just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. Not that it really needed it (and I did not know ahead of time that it had the surprise filling of a green chile in it already), but I used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on top of the tamal. Additionally, I used the last amount of their tomatillo avocado salsa on it, too. I left the rest of the meal unencumbered (Have you ever heard of anyone "encumbering" something?) with superfluous additions as their standard green chile salsa on the Migas was plenty tasty enough without me m*cking-it-up in any way with unnecessary modifications.

Mr. XV Pay-It-Forward Memorial Weekend #8 (continued) Interlude

For today's paying-it-forward activity, I gave away two boxes of Girl Scouts Cookies. They were still selling them in front of a local Safeway and I decided to buy two more for myself. While I was inside, I had the great idea to use these as my "random acts of kindness" for the day. (Well, knowing that I still had about 6-1/2 boxes left over from the nine boxes that I had already purchased over the past three weekends. Sure, it is illegal to sell drugs in a school-zone, but how do Girl Scouts get away with selling these addictive treats in front of stores to unwitting dupes like me?!) Anyway, after doing my weekly grocery shopping, while at the check-out counter I asked the cashier-lady if she would like a box of cookies and she accepted one (I gave her the choice of either s'mores or do-si-dos, she wisely went with the s'mores). I then asked the bagger-guy if he would like the other box, but he politely declined. (Who passes up on free Girl Scouts cookies?!!!) No worries, I figured I would just have to "suffer" and bring them home to eat myself. As I was leaving, I could not resist picking up yet still another box (for anyone keeping count, this made my twelfth box of cookies from these street-side baked-goods pushers!) of s'mores for myself. Then I saw a homeless guy on the sidewalk in front of the store and asked if he would like one of the boxes of cookies. He wisely (for me, at least) chose the box of do-si-dos (leaving me with another box of s'mores all to my ownsome! Yay!).

As for yesterday's paying-it-forward activity, I simply gave $10.00 to the barista/counter-person-lady at one of the Andytown Coffee Roasters shops and told her that the next two or three drinks were on me. ("$10.00, Brian? But wouldn't that pay for more like four to five Coffee drinks?" Trust me, that may barely pay for two or three drinks there. I love Andytown Coffee Roasters drinks, but they are NOT cheap.)

http://www.andytownsf.com/


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Migas ~ 6.6 (this is factoring in the side of black beans and their really tasty tomatillo avocado salsa);
Cheese Tamal ~ 7.3;
Horchata ~ 7.0

___________________

1. ¿Qué?

Now here is where I could go into a long, boring "stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day", but that would probably take several days and cost thousands of lives. So, instead, I am just "borrowing" this explanation from from the friendly folks at WikipediA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata

In most Mexican restaurants (well, at least most of the ones here in San Francisco that I have frequented), Horchata is generally made of rice, water, sugar, and cinnamon

(Sideways-note, to anyone suffering from Spring-Summer cravings: Horchata makes for a very tasty hot beverage on a bitterly cold Nor'eastery kinda night.)

2. Okay, so just exactly when did EweToob change the looks of their logo? 

Also from the friendly folks at WikipediA:
"On August 29, 2017, EweToob launched a new logo, typeface, color scheme and other changes to the appearance of its desktop and mobile app."

Well, I don't care, I am sticking with the older version as it looks cooler to me.

3. I wonder if people in Greece say, "It's all Spanish to me!"

(Look it up yerd*mnself to get that stupid joke[?]!)

(Hmmmm?! On second thought, maybe I shouldn't oughtta have used a "b*tt-ache" reference in the same sentence as "Greek" above.)

No comments:

Post a Comment