Saturday, March 3, 2018

Kate's Kitchen


"¡Hoy tú, tamales yo!"

or 

Mr. XV Pay-It-Forward 
Memorial Weekend #8[1]



http://kateskitchensfca.com/14685

(This is not really that much of an "official"-type 
web-site, but it was all that was currently available.)


Place: Kate's Kitchen

Location: 471 Haight Street 
(between Fillmore and Webster Streets)

Hours: open Monday at 9:00am, Tuesday - Friday at 8:00am, and Saturday & Sunday at 8:30am

Meal: Orange Spice French Toast ~ French bread sipped[ sic; it actually is misprinted that way on their menus and it also appears that way on-line; go digure ] in orange-spiced batter, then baked and sauteed with butter; a side of homefries; and a large glassa Ruby Red grapefruit juice




(Today's 'blog-entry thing just happens to be my 
Nine Hundred and Tenth such item... or maybe them mop-topped Scousers just happened to be big fans of French toast and homefries, too.)[2]


I returned to Kate's Kitchen (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, February 5th, 2017) for a milk, bread, and eggs breakfast this morning. (Coincidentally enough, I did eat at Kate's Kitchen on the very first Mr. XV Pay-It-Forward Memorial Weekend back in 2011, too.) I specifically planned on ordering a French toast dish if they had a good choice from which to choose (and they had several good choices from which to choose today) as an homage to my friends and family weathering another beastly Nor'easter up in Massachusetts and New England.

There were still other good ideas this morning:

French Toast Orgy ~ orange spice French toast (they don't specify whether or not this one is "sipped") topped with fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, and honey (if I had ordered this, I probably wouldn't have had room for the side o' potatoes, too);

French Toast (simply enough named) ~ whole wheat Texas bread w/ strawberries & bananas;

Pumpkin French Toast w/ Chocolate chips & whip cream (I have had this disgusting[ly good] version of French toast before on a past visit and would not mind retrying it again);

Cranberry & Chocolate French Toast ~ w/ strawberrys[ sic; they did not seem to have a problem spelling strawberry in the plural in the French Toast description above, though ] & Chocolate butter (this one also sounds about as disgusting[ly good] as their Pumpkin French Toast and is definitely gonna be on my short-list next time I visit if it is still available);

Veggie (ugggh!) Scramble ~ avocado, Cajun cauliflower (I was told that this is much like standard cauliflower, but just with more of an Acadian attitude and pronounced to sound funny), spicy onion, roasted tomato, cilantro, pepper Jack, topped with chipotle aoli, eggs (this last ingredient seemed to be added as an afterthought, though);

or

Flanched Farney Garney ~ the original flipped egg and cheese sandwich with home fries (which I really need to try one of these days; I am not sure if I have ever tried it in the twenty-plus years that I have been eating at this restaurant).





"Here's your extra-large helping of carbs for the day!", as said to me by my waiter/server-person-guy when he placed my plates in front of me. I told him that you can never have too many carbohydrates. Besides, they make some really good homefries, anyway; they are made with lots of green bell peppers and white onions, and all are nicely caramelized and charred to crispy-crunchy perfection.

This was served as five slices of French toast. That is always a good start. I liked it a lot (probably not as much as their disgusting[ly good] Pumpkin French Toast, but it is definitely worthy of a recommendation and a return taste all on its ownsome). It was just about as much food as I could eat comfortably along with the side of homefries.

From what I could see on all the tables, Kate's Kitchen now offers only Tapatío® Salsa Picante 
Hot Sauce for use in condimentary supplementation. I used some of my own homesweet homegrown® Punch Drunk Chocolate Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Sean!) somewhat light-handedly on the potatoes, and just because I had brought it with me (and because I could), I used just a little H*ll's Kitchen® 
Smoky Bourbon Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on one of the slices of French toast (Don't hate me because I have beautiful tastes! ~ it actually wasn't half-bad in tastaposition with some of the maple syrup also on it).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Orange Spice French Toast ~ 7.0;
homefries ~ 7.3

___________________

1. Right before I headed out for breakfast seven years ago on Saturday morning, March 5th, 2011, a friend on defacedbook had posted a very heart-warming story. (Thanks, Gene!) I am relaying it again here for anyone wanting a good, happy cry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/magazine/06lives-t.html?_r=1

Now, this story had put me in such a good mood  that I had to make sure to do at least one thing nice for someone else that day. I think I may have just paid for a few people's Coffees that were behind me in line or something simple enough like that.

I explained it thusly on that particular 'blog-post:

"I usually like to inflict 'random acts of kindness' on people, anyway; it serves two purposes: 

1) as I am normally a fargin' bastage in person 95% of the time, I figure it can't hurt karmicly to pretend to be nice the other 5% of the time; 

and most of all

2) it totally messes with people when you are nice to them for no reason whatsoever… well, I guess I may lose karma points for that, but it's still fun."

I highly doubt that I would have ever made "Pay It Forward Weekend… or bugger off!" an annual event (or even continued it on to the next day, Sunday), but for one other defacedbook encounter that very same day. I was still in such a good mood after breakfast and all day long; however, when I checked in to the funny pages of defacedbook later that afternoon, I received some very sad news that a friend (whom I had never actually met personally, but had known via the Intro-Net virtually for several years from both defacedbook-land and MLB.com(   's Fan Forums Message Boards ~ specifically those of the Boston Red Sox and some other team from da Bronx) had died suddenly. 

His real name was Scott Pearson Haviland, but he was known fondly as "1523202"* (which was his sign-on moniker with the MLB.com   sites), or "Numbers" to others, or as I liked to call him "Mr. XV". Sure, I had never "met" him before, but I had "spoken" with him daily for several years running (even though he was one of those Y*nkees-type fans) and the shock of hearing that he had passed away suddenly really struck me (and we are the same age, too). (C'mon, how many of you cried when Old Yeller died? And he was just a Dog in a Disneylandia movie.) 

Thus, every year around this time in memoriam and remembrance of Mr. XV, I try to carry on the tradition of inflicting random acts of kindness on complete strangers (Have you ever met a "partial stranger"?).

So, don't be a tire iron, be a tamale (just like Mr. XV would have wanted you to be)... and this weekend (or whenever the feeling takes you) pay-it-forward... 
or bugger off!

*(The specifics of the "1523202" is a Y*nkees-thing, of course:

Number "15" was worn by Thurmon Munson, who was Scott's all-time favourite Y*nkees player;
Number "23" was worn by Little Donnie Baseball;
Number "20" was worn by Jorge Rafael Posada Villeta;
and I am not sure which Y*nkees player may have worn the Number "2", but I bet that he must have been pretty cr*ppy to get saddled with that one.)

2. I have also been doing this silly li'l  'blog-thing for about nine years now (give or take a week or so). Knowing me and my AADHD, I honestly thought that I would have gotten bored of it in less than six months. Of course, I would still always go out for weekend breakfastary fare, but just not bore anyone else with the details here. 

(And if'n any of youse wants to complain about my starting this 'blog in the first place, please forward your concerns to one James Turner [he's only about 6'3" and 240 lbs] who encouraged me to start it. Thanks, JT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment