Sunday, March 11, 2018

Matching Half (Café)


Madness takes its toll... please have exact change!



https://www.matchinghalfcafe.com/


Place: Matching Half (Café)

Location: 1799 McAllister Street
(on the corner of Baker Street... no sh*t, Sherlock!)

Hours: open Monday-Friday at 7:00am, Saturday & Sunday at 7:30am

Meal: Breakfast Sandwich ~ scrambled eggs & Cheddar on brioche (bun), bagel, or bed of greens (which would be a silly choice and not even a "Sandwich" ~ "Breakfast" or "otherwise") w/ avocado
a homemade (well, bakery-made) Blackberry "Pop-tart" from Black Jet Baking Company
and another mighty-fine cuppa (pour-over style) Andytown Coffee Roasters Ethiopia Bedhatu Jibicho 

https://www.blackjetbakingco.com/

http://www.andytownsf.com/purchase/ethiopia-bedhatu-jibicho




(Luckily, we will not have to do any unnecessarily 
imposed time-warping again until Sunday, November 4th.)


I came across Matching Half (Café) last weekend after breakfast as this little corner neighborhood coffeehouse is located just across the street from green chile kitchen. I suppose you could say "... it's just a jump to the left... and then a step to the riiiiiiight!"... (Well, you could say that if you happened upon a creepy Frankenstein-place late one night.)

Because of the evil "time-warp" inflicted upon us this morning, I was able to find a decent parking spot right in front of the joint. There really wasn't much customer-activity the entire time I was there (from 7:45am-ish to 8:30am-ish), anyway. (Conclusion: Just because our time-pieces [both wall-adorned and wrist-wearing] state "7:30am", our bodies are still clinging hopelessly to the fact that it is actually "6:30am".)

My main reason for heading back that-a-way so soon again is that I noticed that Matching Half served 
Andytown Coffee Roasters as their house Coffee! Any food-stuff that they might provide thereafter would just be icing on the cake (or "Pop-tart"). Not only did I like that they offer Andytown Coffee Roasters, but they also give you several of their Coffee options (blends/roasts) from which to choose, too.

Me (to barista-dude handing me my cuppa): "So, what does 'Matching Half' mean/stand for?"
Barista-dude: "I think it is some kinda Greek mythology reference."
(Okay. Whatever that means. I left it at that.)

I really have to give kudos to both the barista-dude and the counter person-lady that took my order, they put up with a lot of inane questions (and by "a lot", I mean I bored the h*ck outta them with A LOT of stupid questions) from me about everything Coffee-related (from my unbridled exuberance for Andytown Coffee Roasters [in my opinion (and my opinion is all I care about, anyway), these guys are easily the Best Local Coffee Roasters ~ and I do not mean just "local" as in "San Francisco-local", but "local" as in "Northern California-local", and quite possibly the entire "Golden State-local"]... to Ethiopian Coffee [especially Andytown Coffee Roasters Ethiopia Natural Banko Fuafuate ~ which is truly exceptional, and currently my favourite local blend/roast]... to Snowbird Coffee [the barista-dude told me that one of their other workers also works at the Richfield part-time]... to Contraband Coffee... etcoffee) and baked goods-related (from Bakers of Paris for most of their bread/sandwich items... to House of Bagels, which is where they get all their bagels [it truly is one of the better New York-style bagelries in town; even though I have actually only been to New York City just a handful of times, to me, this is what a New York bagel should taste like]).




For my sandwich, I went with the brioche bun choice 
(a wise choice, as it turned out to be ~ why the h-*-c-k would I choose the d*mn rabbit-food option?). This was a very nice bun, too. Aside from the fact that these scrambled eggs were made nookular-style in a microwavable cooking unit, this was a pretty decent sandwich (and those clowns at Mickey-D's could take a pointer or two here). It included an entire half (because the term "a whole half" is as confusing as trying to "save an hour" of sunlight) of an avocado in the sandwich.

The Blackberry "Pop-tart" was made with puff pastry from what I could discern. They offered several other flavours: Brown Sugar (which would have been a very good choice with today's meal, too), Jalapeño (let's just see Kellogg's® try and market that flavour to kids), Strawberry, nutella®, and even a PB&J one.

Now the cuppa was another truly fine output from Andytown Coffee Roasters. While this might not have been as stellar a find as their Ethiopia Natural Banko Fuafuate, it was definitely recommendation-worthy and better'n a lotta the tasteless brown-swill that is being served now-a-days at many purveyors of Coffee-joints.

For being just a neighborhood corner coffeehouse, Matching Half actually had a decent array of condimentary supplements. They had bottles of Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce), Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, Valentina® Salsa Picante, and the Pepper Plant® 
(Original California Style Hot Pepper Sauce). I did not notice all of those hot sauces until after I had finished eating and had bused my plates, though. So, I just used some more of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters 
XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on half of the sandwich and some Dancing Dragon Cayenne Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on the other half.

You don't have to be a sweet Transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania to know that any place that serves Andytown Coffee Roasters is andy with me, Jake!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Breakfast Sandwich ~ 6.4;
Blackberry "Pop-tart" ~ 6.6;
Andytown Coffee Roasters Ethiopia Bedhatu Jibicho ~ 7.3 
(keeping in mind that Andytown Coffee Roasters Ethiopia Natural Banko Fuafuate comes in rocking the GBS at about 8.0-8.2)

No comments:

Post a Comment