Sunday, April 8, 2018

Ella's American Kitchen


"The one with the Avocado Omelet."



https://www.ellassanfrancisco.com/


Place: Ella's American Kitchen

Location: 500 Presidio Avenue 
(on the corner of California Street)

(New) Hours: they are now open for breakfast Monday through Friday at 6:00am; and All Day "Brunch" is available Saturday & Sunday at 7:00am

Meal: Avocado Omelet ~ avocado, Cheddar cheese, pico de gallo[1], country potatoes, toast (I went with their fresh-baked honey-oat); and a glassa Ginger Orange Juice Punch (which comes served with a plastic straw... the Pacific Ocean be d*mned!)





(Just a coupla seasonal songs from Lady Ella. 

Hmmm?! "April in Paris" may not be as nice as "October in Oxnard", but it will have to do... )


Okay, I missed eating at Dottie's True blue café 
yesterday morning, so I am starting off the new Baseball Season with a run through my Breakfastary Starting Rotation back at Ella's American Kitchen (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, January 14th, 2018) instead.

I am not sure how often they now change their "Brunch" menu (under the old ownership, they would change it basically every weekend and it would focus on seasonally available items normally), but there are still a few other items that I have not tried yet. Ferinstance:

Chilaquiles ~ slow roasted pork (which I would have ochenta-y-seis-ed, of course, to make it vegetarian-worthy), tomatillo salsa, lime crema, queso fresco, two eggs;

Ella's Famous Buttermilk Pancakes (3) (with the optional bananas or blueberries added);

or 

Kale Caesar Salad ~ organice [ sic ] kale, croutons, Parmesan, Caesar dressing (I would probably breakfastise this by adding two poached eggs on top).





This was another simple, but well-made omelette. I was impressed by the amount of avocado in it; there was at least three-quarters to one whole avocado inside the omelette! ("Avocado again, Brian? Didn't you just have some of that tropical berry yesterday for breakfast?!" Yeah, so?! What else ya gonna do with it?!) Of special note (♪) was their very good pico de gallo on top of the omelette. Not only was it very tasty, the tomatoes, (red) onions, and jalapeños were diced up much more finely than you would normally get at your taquería del barrio, and this made it so much easier to pile a bit on with each forkful of omelette.

Once again, I really enjoyed their country potatoes (however, I did not think to ask which specific Country of origin the potatoes were from; probably from one of the South American Countries like Peru or Idaho... ). This is made with lots of (white) onions, and red & green bell peppers throughout.

Ella's American Kitchen has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce on all the tables for use as condimentary supplements. In an effort to try to finish up (at least) one bottle (finally) from my own hot sauce collection, I have been concentrating on using some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) for the past several weekends. I am making good progress, and have probably three-four weeks dosages left in the bottle (this stuff is pretty d*rn espicy and can only be used a little at a time). ooops! I kinda poured a little too much all over the potatoes. No matter, I still finished them all up; I never waste good potatoes. ("You gonna eat your fat?!")

Étrange Interlude de Café

I purposefully had skipped ordering any Coffee with breakfast so that I could drip-me-downa cuppa Brûlerie Virgin Hill Coffee Roasters Mélange Gamache (Thanks, Cindy!) to enjoy while at home keyboarding up this 'blog-entry, and to comment on it here. 

I was given this Coffee at Christmastime with a matching literary gift of the first three books in la série mystère du Chief Inspector Armand Gamache by Louise Penny. I had saved opening the bagga Coffee until I had started reading the first novel[2], which I finally got around to start reading earlier in the week. I have been exclusively drinking this blend of Coffee all week now (probably six to seven cuppas already). I am happy to say that I am enjoying it a lot (I am never one to dis free, good Coffee, anyway). They list the blend (mélange) as Medium (Velouté); however, it seems to me that this is a lot more on the Medium-Dark side, or just Dark roast (them French-Canadianlanders must like their Coffee a bit more robuste). 

(I should point out that I am also drinking this Coffee outta a matching gift Coffee cup ~ more like a mini-bowl, really ~ with "Vive Gamache!" printed on one side and the silhouette of three pine trees on the other side.)

https://www.virginhillcoffee.com/collections/custom-blend/products/gamache-blend-melange-gamache


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Avocado Omelet ~ 6.7 (I am giving this an additional 0.1 Glen Bacon Scale points for the very good pico de gallo);
Still Life ~ 7.1;
Mélange Gamache ~ 7.2;
the mellifluous vocalisation of Lady Ella Fitzgerald ~ 8.9

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinaristic pointer of the day:

I am sure I have mentioned this before. "Pico de gallo" literally translates from Spanish as "rooster's beak". 

As to the etymology involved, there are differing versions on its origin. I prefer the simplest reason: originally people ate it by pinching pieces between the thumb and forefinger (usually with torn off pieces of tortillas). Hence, your hand would then resemble a "beak of a rooster". Sounds kinda silly? C'mon, who among us has never made shadow puppets on the wall?!














2. http://www.gamacheseries.com/still-life/

No comments:

Post a Comment