Sunday, April 1, 2018

Just For You bakery & cafe


Apparently, white Baseball players lives matter, too...[1]



http://www.justforyoucafe.com/


Place: Just For You bakery & cafe

Location: 732 22nd Street 
(between 3rd and Tennessee Streets [hence the EweToobular juxtaselection of video #2 below])

Hours: open Monday-Friday at 7:30am, 
Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am for "Brunch

Meal: Big (and they are not exaggerating none there) Breakfast Burrito ~ 2 scrambled eggs rolled in a flour tortilla with black beans, Cheddar-Jack, green salsa (diced jalapeño & tomatillo), and your choice of bacon, chorizo, carnitas, or "veggie" (uggh!), and (optional) topped with homemade (well, bakery & cafe-made) Vegetarian Red Chili sauce; a side of Home Fries; and a cuppa (and 1-1/2 refillas) good N'Arlins-style Community Coffee® with roasted chicory

https://www.communitycoffee.com/products/coffee/32-oz-ground-coffee-and-chicory






(The first two songs/videos are because today happens to be April 1st, no foolin' [plus, they just don't make Easter Carols like they did when I was a yid... er... I mean... when I was a kid]. I still have that Fools Gold album (as in vinyl, kids), too. I love the line in that first song: "Accept or deny your own existence, 'cause there's no way of living in between..."

The last video is because Baseball has finally started-up again for the year... Yay! Baseball is Life... everything else is filler!)





I felt like making a bit of an Easter morn trek for breakfast this morning, so I headed "all the way over" to Just For You bakery & cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Tuesday, July 4th, 2017 ~ That's the Spirit!).

The first thing that entered my mind as I approached the building this morning was: "Woo-HOO!!! They finally got rid of that st*pid mini-parklet that was wasting space along the street." However, I overheard a few customers ask the waiter-server peoples about it and it has only been temporarily removed due to all the street construction in the neighborhood. Who knew I would actually be happy about street renovations?! It does not really matter, this place is just too good for me to boycott due to any support of a st*pid mini-parklet.

I was verrrry pleased with my choice this morning. Otherwise, some of the other ideas on which I was debating:

Greek Scramble ~ 3 eggs with Feta cheese, onions, spinach, tomato, and Kalamata olives (I have had this a few times before and it is always good, and Πάσχα is one of the biggest Greek religious holidays);

(off the weekend "Brunch" Specials chalkboard) Blueberry Lemon French Toast (which sounded very intriguing, but I just had French toast yesterday and wanted something different this morning);

or there is always their most-excellent

Frittata of the Decade ~ a pan-fried Italian omelette with zucchini, onions, mushrooms, spinach, tomato, garlic, topped with Provolone (I have had this a few times and it is always great; several years ago they used to make this with Cheddar cheese instead of Provolone; however, some idiot Nose-E-Parker customer suggested on his silly li'l 'blog-thing that Provolone or Fontina cheeses would probably be a better match-up with the other ingredients and be more officially Italian frittata-esque; the owner of the restaurant [Hey, Adrienne!] actually read the comment and decided that I... er, I mean... that other idiot Nose-E-Parker 'blogster was right; I can not believe that anyone [other than family and friends] really reads these silly li'l 'blog-things).





The name of this dish this morning was not an understatement in any way. This was an absolutely HUGE burrito. As best as I could tell, the additional "veggies" (uggh!) that were in it were spinach, zucchini, and (white) onions; all ingredients that I love, anyway. In the twenty-plus (possibly more) years that I have been going to Just For You bakery & cafe, I do not think I have ever had this breakfast burrito before. 

Now as good and tasty (and HUGE) as the burrito was this morning, the real "topper" (Get it? I topped the burrito with the sauce... whatever!) was their most awesome Vegetarian (not, "Veggie" [uggh!], thankfully) Red Chili sauce. It came in a medium-sized ramekin so that you could pour a little or a LOT (which is precisely what I ended up doing) all over your burrito. I have had this sauce once before, I believe, with their Huevos Rancheros. On a future visit, I will have to make sure to order something (even if it is just their homefries) that I can order more of the Vegetarian Red Chili sauce to dump all over the top. Heck, I would even dump it all over the top of their fresh-made beignets! See, it is exactly stuff like this that if this joint were not located "all the way over in Dogpatch" (seriously, it is at least a half-hour drive over there on city streets), Just For You bakery & cafe would easily be in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation (and probably at #2, just behind Dottie's True blue café).

I probably shouldn't have ordered the side of potatoes, but they make very good homefries. I did force myself to finish everything. I can always skip lunch today...

I have stated before many times here, Just For You bakery & cafe offers an impressive array of hot sauces; they have almost as many different bottles of hot sauces for use as condimentary supplements as I currently have in my refrigerator. Of course, the restaurant happens to be a lot larger and (unlike my refrigerator normally) has actual food in it. I did not need/use any of their selections this morning, though. I just used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on top of the homefries. 


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
(HUGE) Big Breakfast Burrito ~ 6.8;
Vegetarian Red Chili sauce (all on its ownsome) ~ 7.4

___________________

1. Now this was a  very interesting "find" this morning. They were playing Baseball-ese songs on KFOG this morning during my drive over and back to Dogpatch. The song "Ballad of Eddie Klepp" was one of them. I had never heard this story (or ballad) before. It is just one of the myriad of Baseball lore that seems to have been swept under (the back of?) the bus...

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/JSH/JSH1998/JSH2503/jsh2503g.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment