Friday, April 13, 2018

Dottie's True blue café


Paraskevidekatriaphobia be d*mned!



http://dottiestruebluesf.com/


Place: Dottie's True blue café

Location: 28 6th Street 
(on the corner of Stevenson Street)

Hours: open 7:30am Thursday through Monday (therefore, closed Tuesday and Wednesday)

Meal: Black Bean Cakes and Eggs any style ~ served with grilled chili-Cheddar corn bread and home fries, topped with sour cream & pico de gallo; and a glassa orange juice



(These were the kitschy salt-and-pepper shakers sitting on the counter in front of me this morning.)



[1]

(See, for some people, Friday the Thirteenth is a lucky kinda day.)


It takes a "special kinda idiot" to get up early on a scheduled day-off (Doesn't everyone make a three-day weekend outta Friday the Thirteenth, Mr. Voorhees?) just to go out to eat breakfast, but my momma always said I was "kinda special" (and my father always called me an "idiot"). So, there ya go...

Thankfully it was not raining again this morning, because even a "special kinda idiot" like me does not relish (nor mustard, nor ketchup... and, e"special"ly, never m*yonaisse [it is vile white goop!]) standing in the rain for about a half-hour while waiting for Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday [not Friday, though], January 13th, 2018) to open their doors. (I had arrived there this morning around 7:05am and was the only "special kinda idiot" waiting in line for about ten minutes until another "special kinda idiot" lined up behind me. It did not take much longer for several more "special kinda idiots" to queue up ~ and eventually around the corner ~ behind us.)

For a change, I sat at the other end of the diner-counter area overlooking the kitchen/prep-area, and sat at ("lucky"?) "Seat #7".

I had come fully prepared on ordering exactly what I did; however, I may have been tempted to go "sweet" again this morning (with an added two eggs over-medium more than likely) if I saw the perfect item on their fresh-baked pastries blackboard. I thought I did see the perfect item of Pumpkin Sweet Potato Custard Cake(!), but, while I was still waiting in line, the chef-baker-guy came out and updated what was actually available this morning and removed that item. Perhaps next time...





This dish is probably my second favourite dish at Dottie's True blue café. I have been ordering it for well over twenty (possibly twenty-five) years now; so I am sure I have had it juuuuust a few times over the years. It has been available for much longer than their stellar Zucchini Cakes. My "any-style eggs" preference was over-medium (which is normally my choice, anyway). I still think that these black bean cakes would make a great base for an Eggs Benedict dish, where instead of the same-ol'-same-ol' Hollandaise sauce, a nice chipotle or mole sauce would be dumped on top of the poached eggs.

As has been pointed out many times before by me, Dottie's True blue café has one of the better condimentary supplementation offerings. Even so, 
I still used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the potatoes and some of my brand-new (as in this morning was its maiden voyage) Trader Joe's® Rainbow[2] Peppercorns with grinder all over everything (and a few extra times around/a-grind to boot).

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/Post/Post/the-spice-of-life

(not so Strange) Coffee Interlude

To complete my Breakfastary Triskaidekaphobia Trifecta (well, okay, so maybe it only includes "two" of my favourite places/things, but I could not come up with a decent term for "just two" that sounded quite as alliterative), I made myself a cuppa (méthode drip-down/pour-over) Bettys Christmas Blend (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) to enjoy while keyboarding up this here silly li'l 'blog-entry.

"But, Brian, Christmas Coffee in April?!" For anyone that drinks Coffee outta a can (personally, I enjoy drinking my Coffee outta a nice ceramic mug), I will have you know that you have no idea how long it had been sitting around in a warehouse before sitting around even longer on your local grocery store shelves, anyway. Besides, apparently this is still available "In Stock" (I am not sure if that is an abbreviation for the capital city of Sweden and only available there, though) from Bettys on-line. 

I really (always) like this blend/roast. However, I seem to remember liking last year's batch just a little more than this year's. It is still a very nice, drinkable cuppa in any case (or bag).

https://www.bettys.co.uk/christmas-coffee-pack


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Black Bean Cakes and Eggs any style ~ 7.2;
Bettys Christmas Blend ~ 7.4 
(this is my initial GBS Rating so far; it may go up a 0.1 point or 0.two after a few more tastings)

___________________

1. And that ain't even my favourite Joan Armatrading (from a long list of favourites of hers) song. That would be:





http://www.joanarmatrading.com/

2. Does anyone else think it is ultra- (or infra-) cool that there are the perfect amount of letters in the word "Rainbow" to use each of the colours in the standard Rainbow-spectrum?

No comments:

Post a Comment