Sunday, April 15, 2018

Eats




www.still no official web-site.com


Place: Eats

Location:  50 Clement Street 
(on the corner of 2nd Avenue); 
phonicular contact: (415) 751-8000

Hours: open for breakfast (not "Brunch") every day (not "everyday") of the week at 8:00am

Meal: Mexican Scramble (well, that is what they call it; they gringo-ed this down for us estupido 'mericanos; this is technically just your cada día chilaquiles[1]) (v) ~ scrambled eggs cooked with fried (corn) tortilla chips, pepper Jack, black beans, pico de gallo, ricotta salata[2], avocado, cilantro; and a glassa Power C ~ (fresh-juiced) orange, grapefruit, pineapple 


As I am still making my way through my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I went back to Eats (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, January 20th, 2018) again this morning for... well... breakfast eats.

With my previous visit, I think I had finally successfully eaten my way through the entire vegetarian-friendly portion of their menu. So, happily, it was time to start all over again.





Think of this dish as a plate of "Breakfast Nachos" (if that helps describe the poorly-focused picture above). Most restaurantes mexicanos tradicionales will typically serve it with a side of refried beans and rice. I really enjoyed this version of chilaquiles. It was not as soupy/saucy as many of the other chilaquiles dishes that I have had all over the city (and that is neither a good thing, nor bad thing).[3]

Of course, my favourite dish at Eats still remains their Spicy Kale Skillet (and like the incorrectly-named "Mexican Scramble", they also have this dish mislabeled as "Spicy Tomato Skillet", but you can not fool me by trying to hide this great dish from all those kale-hating bastages).

Much like Dottie's True blue café, Eats offers a very decent variety of condimentary supplementation. Not only do they offer the San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces™©®Ⓤ (Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce ~ Original Red Sauce, Cholula® Hot Sauce ~ Original, and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce), they also have a triumvirate of El Yucateco® (Salsa Picante Roja de Chile Habanero, Salsa Picante Verde de Chile Habanero, and XXXtra Picante Salsa Kutbil-Ik® de Chile Habanero). Even with all of those hot sauces from which to choose, I still used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on one half of the mess. This really wasn't necessary as the dish was plenty tasty all on its ownsome, but I had brought the d*mn bottle with me and I really am trying to use it up.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Mexican Scramble ~ 7.2
(well, this turned out to be a pretty good three-day weekend for breakfasts; not one was below a 7.2 GBS Rating)

(and for what it is worth:
Spicy Kale Skillet ~ 7.5;
Chava's Chilaquiles ~ 7.6)

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguistic/pseudo-culinaristic pointer of the day (refresco):

(Once again, I am sure I have posted this [and probably more than once] translation/definition/description for "Chilaquiles" before, but here ya go again, anyway.)

chilaquiles
n. a Mexican dish of fried softened (generally corn) tortilla chips covered with salsa or mole and cheese and broiled

The Spanish word "chilaquiles" comes from the Nahuatl word "chilāquilitl", which is a combined form from two separate Nahuatl words "chilātl" (meaning "chilli water") and "quilitl" (meaning "edible plant").

2. https://www.cheese.com/ricotta-salata/

(I just love that there is even a cheese.com!)

3. I still consider Chava's (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, August 8th, 2010; which reminds me, I really need to get back there again soon) version of chilaquiles to be my touchstone (piedra de toque) for this muy sabroso desayuno, Salvaje Guille. Their version is usually going down for the third time in their thick salsa roja

There was a time back in the early 2000's when Chava's was part of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation specifically due to their excellent chilaquiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment