Sunday, June 10, 2018

lokma




https://www.lokmasf.com/


Place: lokma[1]

Location: 1801 Clement Street 
(on the corner of 19th Avenue)

Hours: open Tuesday - Sunday at 9:00am for "Brunch"

Meal: Türlü[2] Omelet ~ Turkish ratatouille, Cacik (cucumber, yogurt, & fresh dill [simply put, Turkish Tzatziki]), and house potatoes; to drink with the meal a demi-cuppa Turkish Coffee; and, beforehand, I stopped at home again (because it is only two blocks down Clement Street from this restaurant) for a cuppa (this time) Coconut Vanilla Latte

http://home-cafe.cafes-city.com/





(What is the EweToobular juxtaselection here? Simples! The Tallest Man on Earth[3] is a big fan of ratatouille and Tzatziki.

[Nah, not really ~ well, he may be, but I do not know that ~ they were playing one of his songs on the house-stereo and I thought that I recognized the singer right away. One of the waitress/server-lady persons confirmed this information for me; she is a fan of his music, too.])


I had dinner last week across the street from this brand-new (only open since February of this year) restaurant and liked what I saw on their (even if they call it) "Brunch" menu. So I made a mental missive to check out  lokma some time in the future... and today must be the future, Marty.

The seating area is medium-sized (well, for a little corner neighborhood joint) with five window-bar seats (along the 19th Avenue side), four two-seater tables, two three-seater (well, kinda; there were three chairs at smaller tables that looked like they might only seat two comfortably) tables, and six four-seater tables. It looked spacious enough inside that if they ever needed to add a few more tables, it would still seem comfortable and not crowded.

There are a few other ideas (even for stupid vegetarian-types) that I will probably be returning to try:

Menemem ~ Turkish egg scramble, tomatoes, sweet peppers, Feta cheese, oranges[ sic ] slices & warm pita (I have had this same dish a few times at other restaurants and already knew that I liked it, so I went with the choice that I did today to try something different, which turned out to be an excellent move);

Breakfast Sandwich ~ toasted bun, two fried eggs, Feta, arugula, tomato, aioli, & house potatoes;

Traditional Turkish Breakfast (this is only offered as a meal for two, so I would have to make sure to share this with someone) ~ sujuk (Turkish sausage), pastirma[4] (air dried cured beef), over-easy eggs, Feta, seasonal hummus, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, kaymak (clotted cream) & honey, herbs & pita (of course, I would have both the sujuk and pastirma junk seksen-altı-ed);

or, if I am in a sweet kinda mood,

Greek Yogurt Pancakes ~ seasonal fruit, honey, blueberry compote, almonds.




This was really a very good choice. A ratatouille omelette? What is not to like? Not only was an omelette made with ratatouille inside it an interesting dish, this had a tasty Cacik on top of it, too. Plus, their house potatoes were very nice and crispy-crunchy (probably deep-fried-then-baked style); I bet a side order of their Cacik would have been great poured over the potatoes, too.

I am not sure what they may have had to offer in the way of any bottled condimentary supplements; I did not ask. I just used some of my own Dat'l Do-it® Zesty Chipotle Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom! And that successfully kills another bottled soldier finally. I am now down to only 29  hot sauces in my refrigerator... only.) on the potatoes.





(not necessarily such a) Strange Coffee Interlude

The Coconut Vanilla Latte at home was good, but just not quite as exciting as either their Lavender Latte, Rose Latte, or Cookie Monster (Latte, too) that I had previously tried. It did not have quite enough coconut flavour in my opinion; I probably shoulda had them make it with coconutmilk (if they had any; I noticed that they did have almondmilk as a cow-milk substitute). Not that I really needed the extra caffeination with breakfast, but I saw that lokma 
offered Andytown Coffee Roasters as their house Coffee (and it was an Ethiopian one ~ not sure which roast/blend, though) in addition to standard Turkish Coffee. I went with the Turkish Coffee over the Andytown Ethiopia because I figured "... when in Istanbul, do as the Istanbullers do... "

http://www.andytownsf.com/

Good house-music!
Andytown Coffee!! (which, in my opinion, is one of the best local roasteries)
A unique Turkish ratatouille omelette!!!
Location... location... location... !!!!
Yeah, I will definitely be returning (for breakfast and probably dinner sometime, too)!!!!!

This has been a very good weekend for me for new breakfastary finds.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Coconut Vanilla Latte ~ 6.7;
Türlü Omelet ~ 7.0

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, bölüm bir:

The Turkish words "lokma" and "lokum" are derived from the Arabic word "luqma(t)" and its plural "luqūm" meaning "morsel" and "mouthful" and the alternative Ottoman Turkish name, "rahat-ul hulküm", was an Arabic formulation, "rāḥat al-hulqūm", meaning "comfort of the throat", which remains the name in formal Arabic.

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, bölüm iki:

"Türlü" in Turkish means "hodge-podge", but in this case it means "mixed vegetables" (as in ratatouille).

3. Kristian Matsson is kinda like the "Swedish Robbie Zimmerman". If you have never heard his music, check it out. Very nice stuff.

http://thetallestmanonearth.com/

4. Yeah, I coulda written another stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer, but seeing as the friendly folks at WikipediA have already stolen... er... posted this information, I just stole... er... borrowed it for use here myself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastrami

No comments:

Post a Comment