Saturday, June 9, 2018

GriddleGriddle FreshFresh


"Savory Reggiano, dreadlock Rasta(?!?)...
Woy-yoy-yo, 
Woy-yoy-yoy-yo, 
Woy-yoy-yoy-yoy-yoy-yoy-yoy-yo!"[1] ♫ 



http://griddlefreshsf.com/

(Supposably this is their "official-type" web-site; however, whenever I click on the link to check out the menu or any other information it brings me to an EAT24 site. So you will just have to take my word for their offered food-stuff.)


PlacePlace: GriddleGriddle FreshFresh

LocationLocation: 40074007 24th24th StreetStreet 
(between NoeNoe and CastroCastro Streets);
phonicular contact: (415) 647-7037

HoursHours: open dailydaily 8:00am8:00am

MealMeal: Savory Reggiano ~ one egg sunny side up, arugula, Parmasan [ sic ], bacon sprinkled (which I 86-sprinkled), honey, basil, strawberry coulis; a side-order of Crispy Wedges; and to drink (which I had picked up about fifteen minutes before the restaurant opened and drank some while walking up and down 24th Street window-shopping ~ I ended up buying a nice oriel and jalousie) a small (12 oz) cuppa the House Coffee at Bernie's ~ a local coffee shop, where they exclusively serve La Coppa Coffee[2]

https://www.lacoppacoffee.com/




(There is absolutely no EweToobular juxtaselection for this song/video[3]. It just came to mind and I felt like sharing it here. For all I know, ol' Bob himself was a big fan of basil, honey, and strawberry [see what I did there with the colour progression of those ingredients?] on his French toast, too.)


It had been a while since I last ate at GriddleGriddle FreshFresh (see previous 'blog'blog-entryentry from SaturdaySaturday, JuneJune 29th29th, 20132013) or its sister-shop, MyMy CoffeeCoffee ShopShop (see last 'blog'blog-entryentry from SundaySunday, AugustAugust 21st21st, 20162016), so I figured it was time for another visit. I chose their location in Noe Valley because it had also been some time since I last galumphed along 24th Street (aka "Main Street Noe Valley").  

There were some very other tempting ideas for breakfast this morning (however, I really can not imagine any of these as being better than the choice I did choose):

Gooey Boule (French toast) ~ vanilla curd, crunch granola, berry coulis (I have no idea what this might look like, but this will definitely need to be tasted/tested on a future visit);

Tiramisu (French toast) ~ brioche bread, mascapone 
[ sic, also ~ something tells me that these guys are not of Italiano-descent ] sweet cream, cinnamon, Espresso (this is another one that truly needs a taste);

Parma Flavor (Eggs Benedict) ~ prosciutto (Hey, whadyaknow? They spelded this one kerrekt. Of course, I would have to ottantasei that dead, decaying porcine junk, too.), fresh Mozzarella (That makes due per due in this ingredient list!),  Roma tomato, Grana Padano (Woo-HOO! Can you say tre per tre?!), chive Hollandaise;

and off their "Specials" insert

Matcha Mochi Pancake (that is just fun to say, anyway) ~ berries, sweet cream, condensed milk; 

or

Brioche French Toast ~ Granny Smith apple sauce, sweet cream, toasted almond (they have this in the singular on the printed menu, but I am sure they actually include at least two almonds), baked cinnamon apple (this was going to be my initial pick, but I can not imagine it being better than what I had ordered either).

Additional, for those of you that are of the animaletarian-ilk, off their "Specials" insert, there was this rather ominous-sounding dish (sadly, which I do not think could viably be made vegetarian-friendly): Chorizo Tater Tot ~ chorizo, sour cream, pico de gallo, avocado, roasted jalapeño (where they excluded the tilde over the "ñ", but that is a common omission in many non-Mexican/Spanish joints), olive, onion, Cheddar, black bean, chipotle aioli.





I just have one word to describe this "new find": Omagawd!!! 

I was not sure how this dish was going to be presented. I pictured the egg laid (well, placed) on top of the French toast slices (à la some kinda take on a Croque Madame). The flavour combination of strawberry, basil, honey, and "Parmasan" (or Parmesan if you are keeping grammar-score [and this would be where the "Reggiano" portion of the dish's name would come from; I was sorta expecting it to be served by Hall of Famer "Mr. Straw-that-stirs-the-drink" hisd*mnself]) was unexpectedly a great one. I even added some of the arugula to a few bites and that worked very nicely, too. (I bet this also would be great with some rosemary, baby!) The strawberries on top were more of the stewed version, not really a "coulis". Technically (or culinarily, I suppose), a "coulis" should be a thick sauce made from puréed and strained vegetables or fruits. But what do I know? I am no Anthony Bourdain (and, sadly, he can not complain or comment on this any longer himself ~ R.I.P. Chef Bourdain).

Even though it is less than half-way (Am I being optimistic or pessimistic in my calculation there?) through 2018, I am claiming this as "My Favourite New French Toast Dish of 2018 Not Named Pain Perdu at Baker Street Bistro"!!!

The Crispy Wedges were very good, too. It made for a large meal for me, but I was glad I tried their take on deep-fried-homefries.

For condimentary supplementation, GriddleGriddle FreshFresh just has Cholula® Hot Sauce (Original) on the tables. I came prepared with a few bottles from my own hot sauce collection (not knowing if I was gonna go "sweet" or "savoury" for breakfast this morning; whereas, my entrée was actually both) and used some Hot Licks® Serrano Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian! This is the next bottle that I am going to try to force-use up to free-up some more space on my refrigerator door-shelves.) generously ('cause I am just that kinda guy) all over the potatoes and a few drops of Old St. Augustine Datil Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on top of the egg.


GlenGlen BaconBacon ScaleScale RatingRating:
Savory Reggiano ~ 7.7;
Crispy Wedges ~ 7.0;
Bob Marley's "Buffalo Soldier" ~ 7.5

___________________

1. I t'ink dis is jus' Jamaican Patois for: "Verrrry tasty French toast, Jah!" 

(That is not really to be considered as a stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer, though.)

2. Okay, if you really must have a stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer:

"La coppa" is Italiano for "the cup". Simples! 
(See? Sometimes this cunning linguist stuff ain't really scienza del cervello or chirurgia a razzo even.)

3. Years ago (and by "years ago", I mean that it must have been at least twelve to fifteen years ago now), my brother Kerry had made me a cuts-CD with a buncha Bob Marley cover-songs. This particular song was included on it along with many other great Bob-songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment