Saturday, August 25, 2018

Sears Fine Food




http://www.searsfinefood.com/


Place: Sears Fine Food ~ Celebrating 80 Years

Location:  439 Powell Street (between Post and Sutter Streets, just a half-block up from Union Square)

Hours: open daily at 6:30am

Meal: Crisp Pecan[1] Waffle; a side of hash brown potatoes; and a glassa grapefruit juice (which was served with a plastic straw... Ha!)


I headed back once again to Sears Fine Food (see last 'blog-entry from Monday, March 13th, 2017) for breakfast this morning. I like that they open up very early every day for a downtown tourista location. This morning I sat at the diner counter which is near the front and to the left just as you enter. I was not even aware previously that it was there. The restaurant was basically empty when I had arrived around 7:00am, so I could have sat just about anywhere, anyway.




I liked that this waffle had lotsa pecans in it. Otherwise, it was just your basic Belgian waffle. However, with the butter plus maple syrup plus some fresh-squeezed orange juice (meaning I freshly squeezed it from the slice of orange garnish off my plate) plus the pecans, this all made for a very nice flavour combination.

I also always like a place that offers two types of breakfastary potatoes; they also have home fried potatoes. 

I think for condimentary supplementation Sears Fine Food only has Tabasco® Brand Hot Sauce 
(Original Red Sauce). I just used some of my own H*ll's Kitchen® Chipotle Chocolate Hot Sauce 
(Thanks, Mom!) along with several grinds from my grains of paradise-grinder on the potatoes.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Crisp Pecan Waffle ~ 6.3

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-botanicalistic pointer of the day:

(This information is borrowed [stolen... potato ~ tomato] directly from the friendly folks at WikipediA. What can I say? I was lazy today.)

The pecan (Carya illinoinensis) is a species of hickory native to Mexico and the Southern United States.

"Pecan" is from an Algonquian word variously referring to pecans, walnuts, and hickory nuts, or more broadly to any nut requiring a stone to crack.

(Once again, the saying "As 'merican as Apple Pie." really oughta shoulda read: "As 'merican as Pecan [or Pumpkin] Pie.", as apples are an Old World fruit and both pecans and pumpkins are New World food items.)

No comments:

Post a Comment