Saturday, August 4, 2018

Mo'z Café


When life hands you lemons... 
get you some crêpes!



https://www.moz-cafe.com/


Place: Mo'z Café

Location: 5 Masonic Avenue 
(on the corner of Geary Boulevard)

Hours: open every day at 7:00am

Meal: 5 Masonic Crepe ~ Mozzarella, Cheddar cheese, onion, tomato, mushroom, spinach, walnuts, cottage cheese, and Marinara sauce, served with mixed greens, fruit or house potatoes (I went with the only intelligent choice of house potatoes; yeah, right, I can throw some mixed greens or fruit on a stupid plate myd*mnself); and to drink a large (16oz or such) glassa Peach-Pear-Apricot smoothie, Mr. Kuiper





(Now, I may easily have used one or both of these songs before, but, so what? I really like birds of chicago.[1] 

As far as I know, there are no real EweToobular juxtaselections with either of these songs. Of course, it could quite possibly be that both Allison Russell and JT Nero are be big fans of Of-Mice-and-Men/lemonade crêpes.)


My original plan this morning was to revisit 
Royal Ground Coffee ~ their location that is just down the road apiece from me on Geary Boulevard (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, August 30th, 2015) ~ as they had just recently re-opened after a long (six months or more) renovation/refurbishment. They now have an actual kitchen and offer several real breakfastary items on their new menu (they used to do just bagels and sandwiches and stuff). They open at 6:30am every day of the week and I figured I could get an extra early jump on the day. However... when I had arrived there a little after 7:00am, I was informed that the cook was not yet in for the morning and was running about ten-to-fifteen minutes late. No biggie, I would just mosey along Geary Boulevard for a bit and come back later for breakfast. Except... when I got back about twenty minutes later, the cook still had not shown up and I was then told that he would probably be another ten-to-fifeen minutes at latest. Okay, I needed to stop by the bank to get some money out, anyway. But... when I re-re-arrived back after another fifteen minutes, I was then informed they did not know when exactly the cook might show up that morning. It is all good. I will just try again another time (probably next weekend).

Luckily I knew that I could always head back over to Mo'z Café (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, February 24th, 2018) and order me some kinda 
George-and-Lenny-Special-Crêpe as a viable back-up plan. Besides, this restaurant is only straight down Geary Boulevard (about twenty-seven blocks) from Royal Ground Coffee.

I was able to sit outside in the covered/semi-enclosed sidewalk patio area this morning. The Sun was out and a-shinin', but it was still a bit chilly. It really did not matter because I was protected from the wind with a vinyl window/wall-thing.

There are still two more items that are specific to this location (that are not offered at their original 5th Street location) that I want to check out (so I really had no problem having to head "all the way over there" this morning, anyway):

Amore Omelette ~ avocado, black bean chili (it does not specify if this is vegetarian-friendly or not, but I would be sure to ask before ordering this one), salsa, Cheddar cheese, and sour cream;

or 

Romano Omelette ~ spinach, Greek olives, and Feta. (Hmmm?! "Romano"?! Sounds a lot more like "Atheno" to me, Ray.)





This was a very good Marinara sauce all over the top of the crêpe. (I spoke with Mo after breakfast and told him this would probably be even better with their extra tasty salsa ranchera on it.) I was a little wary of how the cottage cheese might taste/mix with the rest of the ingredients, but with all of the other good junk inside the crêpe, you could barely notice the blandocity of that cheese curd product. The really nice surprise was the walnuts in it; I had completely forgotten that they were one of the ingredients in it and I really liked the crunch and added flavour.

And, as always, their homefries were very, very good (mixed greens or fruit... I fart in your general direction!).

For condimentary supplementation, Mo'z Café had Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both Original Red Sauce and Green [Jalapeno] Pepper Sauce), and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce on all the tables. I finally got to use some of my brand new Chelsea Fire Wicked. Hot. Sauce.® (Thanks, Sha'!) on the homefries. I received this as a belated birthday gift from my sister (apparently she does not know the meaning of "No more d*mn hot sauces or d*mn baseball caps for a while, please!") when I was visiting Massachusetts last month. I had test-tasted it already and knew to go pretty light-handedly with it because it has both ghost chillies and habanero chillies as its heat source. Additionally, when I was touristing along Main Street Falmouth on Cape Cod last month, I found a small packet of whole grains of paradise in a spice and tea shop. As luck would have it, a few days later while waiting to get into Riverside Cafe for breakfast, there was a little curio/junk shop right next door and I found a refillable/portable pepper grinder (well, in my case, it is now a grains of paradise-grinder) in the shop for only $5.00 (the small packet of grains of paradise was more than that even). So, I very generously grinded-up some (meaning at least twenty twists of the grinder) all over both the crêpe and the potatoes.

https://chelseafirehotsauce.com/


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
5 Masonic Crepe ~ 6.6;
Chelsea Fire Wicked. Hot. Sauce.® ~ 7.2

___________________

1. Why aren't these guys HUGE yet?

http://www.birdsofchicago.com/

2. http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/Afra_mel.html

No comments:

Post a Comment