Saturday, October 27, 2018

Overtime Sports Bar & Restaurant


Breakfast on Geary (redux), Part 31b

"... Now my sense of humor needs a break(fast)... "





Place: Overtime Sports Bar & Restaurant

Location:  4134 Geary Boulevard (between 5th and 6th Avenues)

Hours: open for "Weekend Brunch" Saturday at 9:00am(-ish; I had arrived there this morning about 9:07am and one of the waiter-server-person guys told me that the kitchen staff had not arrived yet for the morning and to come back in about fifteen minutes or so) and Sunday at 9:30am 

Meal: Morning Tots ~ 2 eggs your way (my way this morning was "over-medium"), Cheddar cheese, house salsa, served over tots, and I went with the ADD avocado option; to drink with the meal, a glassa (well, it was really a little pewter steina/Beer-kega kinda thing) Skinny Ginger Peach ~ diet Ginger Beer, peach, lime, bitters; and, aforehand (seeing as I had to kill fifteen minutes or so until the kitchen staff decided to finally show up for the morning), a cuppa pour-over-style Snowbird Coffee Guatemala Single Origin Huehuetenango at the Richfield 






(There is no good/d*mn [EweToobular juxtaselectionary] reason I should have to post this Dixie Chicks cover of a Maria McKee[1] song, other than I am a little bummed over the outcome of last night's Marathon World Series Game with the Red Sox losing to some Minor League team from the Anaheim, California suburbs area. Dog help me, I am sure I am not the only one that has ever felt this way.)


To give the Boston Red Sox (aka "the Good Guys") a little extra mojo-tional support for today's World Series Game, I went back to Overtime Sports Bar & Restaurant (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, April 9th, 2017). When they had first opened for business back in January 2017, they were primarily a San Francisco/Bay Area Sports Bar. A few weeks ago, I noticed that they are now flying both the Good Guys and New England Patriots flags outside. So, what's up with all the Boston Sports stuff now?! I asked my waiter-server-person guy why this is, and he told me that the current manager-person is supposably from Boston.






It turned out to be kinda fortunate that the kitchen staff showed up late this morning, as there was really only one other table of six idiots in the place that were stupid enough to get up that early in the morning, too. We had the place to ourselves the entire time we were eating.

There really are not a lot of choices on the "Weekend Brunch" menu, but a few other ideas I was looking at were:

Veggie (uggh!) Eggs Benedict ~ spinach, tomato, & avocado, served on English muffin w/ side of hashbrowns;

Overtime French Toast ~ thick cut toast, powdered sugar, whipped cream, maple syrup;

Breakfast Burrito ~ chorizo (which I would have omitted), scrambled eggs, black beans, Cheddar cheese, house chipotle sauce, served w/ tots or potatoes;

or 

an adventurous variety of item choices for making an omelette (served w/ tots or potatoes).

Additionally, they offer a number of breakfast ("Brunch", whatever) cocktails ~ both of the alcoholic variety and the Mormon-party-animal variety (which is what I opted for this morning). However, if I had been in the mood for a tipple-taste, the one that caught my eye the most was the Belichick ~ zesty cilantro-jalapeno infused Titos, tomato juice, extra salty rim (this sounded like a more spicy version of a Bloody Mary). I actually asked them to make my drink as a "Fat" Ginger Peach and have it made with regular/non-sugar-free Ginger Beer



(Yeah, so maybe this photo is a bit on the blurry side. I will blame that on the poor lighting in the joint. Yeah, that was it. It was just a bowl of tater tots with a couple of eggs on top, anyway, Napoleon.)


This was quite an awful lotta tots! There was nothing really special about them, though, they were just of your store-bought variety (at least, I do not think that they make their own homemade [Sports Bar & Restaurant-made, whatever] tater tots like some places do these days). I did like that it included a whole halfa avocado. Their house salsa was good, but it was just a standard pico de gallo. I also woulda liked to have seen the Cheddar cheese melted a bit more; the cheese was just melted with the radiant heat from the tater tots and eggs. I bet this would have been much better if they had used a salamander to melt the Cheddar (à la nachos or such).



(This is not a salamander. This is the emblem that was on my table-top this morning. I guess that southern San Francisco, down by the State University, is covered with swamps and bayous.)


After I had already placed my order, I thought that I probably shoulda gotten this with two poached eggs on top instead of the over-medium eggs. That way, it coulda been considered some sorta "Anthony Quinn Benedict" (see, Antonio Rodolfo Quiñones Oaxaca was part-Irish and mostly-Mexican... get it? potatoes and salsa... whatever). When I mentioned this to the young-ish waiter-server-person guy, he had abso-lutely no idea who Anthony Quinn was. What the h*ck are they teaching these kids in school now-a-days, Ζορμπά?!

I also like that they offer several different potato options: the titular "Tots" in my meal, hashbrowns, roasted potatoes, and French fries (while this one is not on their "Brunch" menu, I bet you could get them to substitute some... if the kitchen staff has the time, that is).

For condimentary supplementation, Overtime offers both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce
I just used some more of my own Chelsea Fire Wicked. Hot. Sauce.® (Thanks, Sha!) on top of one of the eggs. I also used several (well, many several) grinds from my grains of paradise grinder all over the pile.

(not really such a) Strange Coffee Interlude

I was planning on heading over to the Richfield, anyway, after breakfast for a decent cuppa, as they are located only two-and-a-half blocks away. So, I just ended up going "before" instead of "after". As strange as this may sound, I rate this particular blend/roast higher on the Glen Bacon Scale than their Zatara blend/roast; however, I think that I actually prefer the Zatara a bit more. ("Whaaat?!" Don't ask me. I am still trying to figure out just what the h*ck human-males need nipples for.) Both are quite excellent on their ownsome.
Moral of the story: When the kitchen staff comes in late and hands you lemons, go get you a decent cuppa Coffee nearby.


Go Red Sox!!!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Morning Tots ~ 6.3;
Snowbird Coffee Guatemala Single Origin 
Huehuetenango ~ 7.5;
the Good Guys ~ 108-54

___________________

1. Here is an original live version by the talented Miss McKee herd*mnself, just for good "measures" (see ya at the "Bar"):


No comments:

Post a Comment