Sunday, October 14, 2018

Suppenküche


♪ "... the best part of waking up...
is Rauchbier in your cup... " ?!? ♫ 



https://www.suppenkuche.com/


Place: Suppenküche

Location:  525 Laguna Street 
(on the corner of Hayes Street)

Hours: "Brunch"[1] is served on Sundays from 
10:00am - 2:30pm

Meal: Bauernfrühstück[2] mit Gewürzgurken ~ farmers scramble with potatoes, bacon, cheese, served with pickles & pork sausage (natürlich, I sechsundachtzig-ed any of die totes verrottetes Schweinefleisch); to drink with the meal, a .5-liter Schlenkerla Märzen; and beforehand a cuppa 
Ritual Coffee - El Guamo, Colombia

https://www.schlenkerla.de/rauchbier/sorten/sortene.html#

https://www.ritualroasters.com/




(Ja, I know that I have used this song before [and twice in just the past few weeks, even], but this is a different version, and the song makes a perfect juxtaselection mit heute Frühstück.)


Ich bin heute Morgen zum Frühstück in Suppenküche zurückgekommen (see previous 'blog-entry from Sonntag, 9. März, 2014). I like that this place is set up in Bayerische Bierhalle-style dining, where you may find yourself eating at a table with complete strangers (incomplete strangers are even worse). However, I got there early enough that I had an entire six-seater wooden table-bench to myself, anyway.

Unfortunately, there are really not a whole lotta other choices for dämliche Vegetarier. The only other "Brunch" item that I might have gone with was Gebratener Semmeknödel mit Eier und Bratwurst (sautéed bread dumplings with two eggs and sausages ~ I am not sure how that is made or if it could even be made vegetarian-friendly). Otherwise, I was just going to go simplistisch with an order of Reibekuchen mit hausgemachtem Apfelmus (potato pancakes with homemade applesauce, sour cream & chives) and Zwei pochierte Eier mit geröstetes Brot (two poached eggs with toast).  This (plus not opening until 10:00am) might be one of the reasons it had taken me four years to make a return visit... but die Biere is always worth a go.




One of the breakfastary ("Brunch"-ary, whatever) pluses is getting a complimentary (and complementary) basket of Brötchen. There were three types in the basket this morning: poppy seed, sesame seed, and caraway seed[3], which I made sure to enjoy with the provided Butter and some Aprikosenmarmelade that was on the table.

There was nothing really special about this dish. It was just scrambled eggs with potatoes and cheese, but it was still good enough for me. The pickles were just your typical gherkin-style pickles. Near the end of the meal, I dumped the remaining chopped pickles into the scrambled mess.

Now, the Rauchbier was almost as good as a cuppa Coffee at breakfast with its smokey and roasted malty flavour. So, if you happen to be a Mormon and do not partake of any of the caffeinated drinks, I would highly recommend this as a substitute...

For condimentary supplementation use, I only saw some bottles of Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce 
(Original Red Sauce) on the bar-area. I just used some of my own Punch Drunk™ Chocolate Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce (Thanks, Sean!) on the scrambled egg mess along with several grinds from my grains of paradise grinder.

(another not so) Strange Coffee Interlude

Knowing full-well (which is the only way a pessimist will make a wish) that the joint I was planning on eating at did not open up until 10:00am for "Brunch", I made sure to get a decent cuppa beforehand at the Ritual Coffee Quonset hut-kinda shop across the street from Patricia's Green park[4]. I had about another half-hour to kill, so I enjoyed it while watching a variety of pupsters frolicking in the park with their human pets. 
I preferred yesterday's Kenya blend a little better than today's Colombia blend (I did not smell any artichokes this morning, though).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Bauernfrühstück mit Gewürzgurken ~ 6.0 (and this is factoring in the basket of Brötchen);
Schlenkerla Märzen ~ 7.2; 
Ritual Coffee - El Guamo, Colombia ~ 6.8

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, nummer eins:

The German word for "Brunch" is simply the English cognate "Brunch". Na, und?!

I do not know why they do not just call it "Frütagessen" and get it over with. 

(Hopefully, one does not necessarily have to be a Herm Op to get that stupid joke.)

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, nummer zwei:

Like so many other words auf Deutsch, this is a combination of two word: "Bauer" (meaning "farmer/peasant") and "Frühstück" (meaning "breakfast").

(See, sometimes you do not have to be another Alfred Einstein to figure out this cunning linguist stuff.)

3. Stupid, useless botanical pointer of the day:

As strange as this might sound, caraway "seeds" are not really seeds. They are actually the dried fruits of the plant.

4. http://sfrecpark.org/destination/patricias-green-in-hayes-valley/

No comments:

Post a Comment