Saturday, February 23, 2019

café bean



"Sunny, sunny morn...
Paint your omelette green and gold 
(and red bell peppers)... "
♫ 



(No official-type web-site thing.)


Place: café bean

Location: 800 Sutter Street (on the corner of Jones Street); phonicular contact: (415) 928-0888

Hours: at this point, I really have no idea; at least they were open after 8:30am or so when I arrived this morning, which was good enough for me

Meal: Van Gogh Omelette ~ bell pepper, onion, avocado, and cream cheese, served with whole wheat toast; and, to drink, a medium (16 oz) cuppa de Huiskoffie ~ Chester's[1] Dark French[2]




(I know you must be a-wonderin' just what exactly is the juxtaselection with today's EweToobular video/song. Well, I will bet that you were not aware that Donald McLean III is a big fan of cream cheese and avocado in his omelettes, too.)


Eindelijk, ik ging terug naar café bean (see last 'blog-entry from Zaterdag 21 november, 2015) after many failed attempts over the past several months. Possibly their current opening time is 8:00am. The times are not listed/posted anywhere, but their "OPEN" sign on the door had a little clock-thing that was set to 8:00 (whether that meant ante or post the meridiem, I have no idea). However, just in case ("fool me five or six times... "), I did have a back-up plan planned, Stan: I would have just walked the two blocks over to 
Honey Honey ~ Cafe & Crepery instead (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, November 21st, 2015).

Chester (who I am pretty sure is the owner/manager-guy) works the till and makes any Coffee-drinks that are ordered. Mrs. Chester (who I am pretty sure is de echte baas) does all the cooking/food preparing in the back kitchen-space. I am not exactly sure what their kitchen set-up is like, but for a neighborhoody corner coffeehouse joint, they do a pretty good job with their breakfastary dishes. 

Even if I only get over there every two to three (or more) years, there are still some other ideas that I would like to try (that is, if they happen to be open again when I do stop by):

De Vries Omelette ~ egg white, tofu, bell pepper, onion, and tomato;

Michelangelo Omelette ~ egg omelette with tomato, pesto, cheese, spinach (I was not aware that Mamma Buonarroti's little bambino was actually from Olanda... );

Daniel's Omelette ~ onion, mushroom, spinach, artichoke, olive tapenade (now this "Daniel" guy may or may not be Dutch himself); 

or

Hot "Veggie" (How do you say "uggh!" in Dutch?) Breakfast Burrito ~ onion, bell pepper, chilies, tomato, cheese, spinach.

Plus, their Cinnamon Apple Dutch Pancake (which I had on my initial visit there) is always worth reordering. 



(When ordering this particular omelette, be sure to speak loudly and clearly into Chester's left ear... )


This omelette was made with three different coloured bell peppers: red, green, and gold (which, coincidentally enough, are the colours of the Dutch National flag). Now, I am not normally a fan of cream cheese in an omelette, but with the addition of the avocado, this actually worked for me this morning (I am not so sure what ol' Vinnie the V would know about avocados, though).

I did not bother to ask Chester what they might have had to offer in the way of any hot sauce condimentary supplementation. As per the norm, Mr. Peterson, I had come prepared with a few of my own bottles of hot sauce, anyway. I used some Chili in Hawai'i Habanero Garlic Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on top of the omelette (just about ten drops or so only).

Overall pluses: they offer a good, robust Coffee; and it is a very friendly little joint
Underall minuses: unfortunately, they do not offer any potato side-dishes (probably due to their limited kitchen restrictions); and not knowing exactly when/if they will be open in the mornings


the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

Now this was a very strange sighting. On my way home, while waiting at the bus stop on the corner of Arguello Avenue and Geary Boulevard, I first heard ('cause that is how these flying chatterboxes are usually spotted), then looked up and saw a pretty large pandemonium (easily thirty or more of the colourful feather-brains) flying overhead heading southwest towards Golden Gate Park. You do not normally see them this far westward (ho!) in the city. I really had to wonder just where the h*ck were they heading to? (And, yes, I am well aware that grammatically the sentence should read: "... where the H*ll were they heading to, *sshole?")


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Van Gogh Omelette ~ 6.5;
Chester's Donker Nederlands ~ 7.0;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. I can only assume that the owner/counter-guy's name is "Chester". Several other regular-customer-type persons greeted him by that name when they came in (either that, or he was just too polite to correct de domme Amerikanen). 

2. I did make sure to ask Chester why this was not called "Donker Nederlands". However, he did not have a good answer for that zinloze vraag.

No comments:

Post a Comment