Saturday, February 2, 2019

Joe's Coffee Shop


Breakfast on Geary (redux), Lucky 13b



(No official web-site, and I am pretty sure that they will never bother themselves to get one, anyway.)


Place: Joe's Coffee Shop

Location: 6134 Geary Blvd (between 25th and 26th Avenues); phonicular contact: (415) 668-9382

Hours: open 7:00am Sunday to Saturday

Meal: Avocado and Cheese Omelet (with fresh salsa) ~ served with hash browns and toast; and a large glassa orange juice to drink



(Ol' Deckie MacManus must be a d*mn ManU fan!)


After what ended up being one h*ckova long hiatus, I finally made a return visit to Joe's Coffee Shop (see last 'blog-entry from Monday, May 7th, 2012[1]). It is not as if this place were so very close (it is well over six blocks away from my apartment building... well, seven to be exact) that I could just stop by whenever I felt like it. Actually, I had been planning on checking them out again for breakfast (I only ride past the d*rn place twice a day, to and from work) again soon, anyway. The "again soon" just happened to be "again today" because my first plan-of-breakfastary-attack was to go back to Royal Ground Coffee (see 'blog-entry from Saturday, August 18th, 2018). However, when I had arrived there just after 8:00am, I was informed that the kitchen help (I think it is just one guy) had not arrived yet this morning (they open at 6:30am and, normally, are supposed to start serving meals by 7:00am). So, luckily, I did have a back-up option (and only a few blocks away to boot [... or not to boot? Is that really a question, Wild Bill?]).

I sat at their diner-counter once again because I felt like it. Plus, there are really only a few tables in this small place and I wanted to keep those available for "real" customers. One cool thing was that I got to watch a little Football (of the Britishlander-type; better know to all youse as "Le Soccér") ~ CHE(lsea) v. HUD(dersfield) ~ on the telly behind the counter (which was directly in front of me, anyway).

Because they are an olde-timey family-owned diner-type kinda joint, they offer a pretty decent and varied breakfast menu, off which, I suppose, I could have also ordered:

Vegetable and Cheese Omelet (tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, and spinach);

Mushroom and Cheese Omelet (they did not list the ingredients for this one on their menu for some reason);

Three blueberry pancakes with whipped cream;

or 

Waffle with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.

Additionally, there is also Joe's Scramble (ground beef, mushrooms, onions, and spinach). However, I got in trouble the last time that I had ordered this dish (which was on my very first visit there for breakfast way back in 2011), because someone (whose name shall remain "Brian") forgot to ask the waitress/server-lady/(probably owner-lady, too) person to omit the dead, decaying grinded-up bovine flesh and they had to remake it all over again from scratch (scratch always tastes much better than dead, decaying grinded-up bovine flesh, anyway). Ooops!




Now here is where if I had known ahead of time that I was going to return to Joe's Coffee Shop, I woulda checked to see what I had ordered on my previous visit and probably have ordered something different this time. Saul Goode! It was almost seven years since I had this omelette and an exact repeat every seven years would not even bother Tom Ewell, I bet.

There was really nothing special about this meal. It was just your typical good ol' diner-style omelette made with lots of fresh avocado dices throughout. I am not exactly sure what kinda "cheese" was used in the dish this morning. I think it must have been some queso fresco (it was white and in chunks and did not taste like Feta to me). The last time that I had ordered this omelette, it came with that plain ol' yellow-orange (faux Cheddar-stuff) cheese in it. I think I prefer the u/i white cheesy comestible from today a bit more.

For condimentary supplementation, Joe's Coffee Shop had just Crystal® Louisiana's Pure Hot Sauce and Huy Fong Foods Inc. Sriracha HOT Chili Sauce on the counter top and tables. I used some (a goodly amount, 'cause this one is only about as hot as your standard Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce - Original Red Sauce) of my own Dragon Breath Garlic Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) mixed in with the hashbrowns and some (a lot less, 'cause'n this one has both Cayenne Chillies and Habanero Chillies in its ingredients) Pepper Palace Gator Bite Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on top of the omelette.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Avocado and Cheese Omelet ~ 5.9
Chelsea v. Hungerdunger, Hungerdunger, Hungerdunger, Hungerdunger & McCormick ~ (a crushing) 5-Nil[2]

___________________

1. Hmmm??? 

I am not quite sure why I "took" a sick-day off on a Monday at the beginning of May that year. I think it might have been because I had some friends in town (Hey, Wayne-o and Donna!) and did not feel like "wasting" a day of vacation on the likes of them. (Pffft! It is not like they are really "good friends" of mine; I mean, I had only known them both as a couple for twenty years or so at that time [well, okay, maybe I had also known Wayne-o all on his ownsome for possibly another fourteen-and-a-half years prior, but still... ]).

2. This is not really that surprising. Poor ol' Huddersfield Town are currently the doormat of the Premier League with only two Wins in twenty-five Games thus far. They are kinda like that MLB Team that plays in da Bronx and everyone always seems to steamroll.

https://www.premierleague.com/home

No comments:

Post a Comment