Saturday, August 31, 2019

the Purple Rooster café


Plainville, MA[1]
(Sunday, 08/18/2019)



(No official-type Web-Site.)


Place: the Purple Rooster café

Location: 105 South Street, Plainville, MA; 
phonicular contact: 508-316-1550

Hours: open 9:00am Wednesday to Friday and 8:00am Saturday and Sunday; CLOSED Monday and Tuesday

Meals: (me) Butternut Squash-Potato Pancakes with pepper jelly, two eggs over-medium, and English muffins;
(Cam and Kerry) Blueberry Banana Bread French Toast;
(Sean) Beet & Onion Hash w/ Turkey & Bacon on Grilled Cheese;
and to drink (me) orange juice (I did not notate what everyone else had to drink, there may have been some glasses of milk and Coffees)






(Only 'cause fat Lowell and the boyos do not offer a Y*nkee Rooster song. Besides, I have it on good authority that both Emmylou and Bonnie are big fans of Butternut Squash-Potato Pancakes with pepper jelly. I am pretty sure ol' fat Lowell woulda eaten anything put in front of him, too.)[2]


Well, colour me Purple and call me "Harpo", Miss Celie! I would not ever have thought that one could find a Breakfastary Starting Rotation-worthy restaurant in the thriving ultra-megalopolis of 
Plain-ol'-ville, Massiechoosetts. (To paraphrase Hobson from the 1981 movie "Arthur": "Thank you for a memorable morning, usually one must go to a bowling alley to eat a breakfast of your stature.") But I was proved completely wrong on my very first day of vacation Back East last week.  Wow, what a great little find in the Purple Rooster café! (Thanks for the suggestion, Sha!) Both the menu fare (with many st*pid vegetarian and Vegan options) and the atmosphere (laid-back, comfortable, and eclectic) coulda been something you might easily expect to find in the Haight-upon-Ashbury.

Our entire group had ordered off their weekend specials menu, but there were still many other great options off their (pretty extensive) standard printed menu:

several Pancakes selections ~ especially their Signature Flavors: Bacon & Apple (not for the Vegan at heart, though); Almond Joy (they do not list the ingredients, but I am assuming these would probably include almonds, coconut, and Chocolate); and Banana Walnut;

several French Toast selections ~ also under their Signature Flavors (however, this was not underlined on the menu for some reason): Cinnamon Apple; Nutty Monkey (probably another banana-walnut selection?); S'mores; and Banana Crème Stuffed;

The Matty ~ 2 fried eggs, fried bologna with cheese on a toasted Portuguese sweet roll with warm apples or homefries (not st*pid vegetarian- nor Vegan-friendly);

It's Not The Matty, It's The GG ~ 2 scrambled eggs with spinach on a sweet roll with warm apples or homefries (now this one is st*pid vegetarian-friendly, but not for our Veganite friends);

The Hawaiian ~ 2 eggs, grilled pineapple and honey ham on a cinnamon toast with warm apples or homefries;

The Neil ~ 2 scrambled eggs with spinach and onion with sliced tomato and avocado on toast with warm apples or homefries;

several versions of The Breakfast Bake - Comes with Toast ~ homefries topped with scrambled eggs and your choice of style below: The Mexican (black bean salsa and cheese); Steak Bomb (steak, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese); or Veggie Lovers (spinach, br*ccoli [which would have to be excised for me, Newman!], tomatoes, mushrooms, and cheese);

and

they even have a separate section under Potato Pancakes to include: The Ally (2 scrambled eggs with Feta, olives and tomatoes, 2 Southwest Potato Pancakes with toast); Original Potato Pancake (offered as 1, 2, or 3 pancakes); and Southwest Potato Pancakes (also offered as 1, 2, or 3 pancakes; they do not specify what makes these southwesterly, though).

And that is only about half of their menu!



(Ha! I just love how my eggs were juxtapositioned right on top of the Rooster on the plate and you can only see his little feats sticking out.)


My breakfast was rather simple, but it was also rather simply very good. I am always a big fan of any good Kartoffelpuffer type dish. I enjoyed these even more so with the interesting added ingredient of butternut squash in the mix. The only two minor quibbles that I might have were that the English muffins were just the pedestrian fare like that Mr. Thomas guy makes and the orange juice was served straight outta a 10-ouncer plastic bottle. That was all okay with me, anyway; I used some of the good hot pepper jelly on top of the faux crumpets and that helped a lot, too.




Now, I did not really poll the rest of the table on their intake (Who cares if they liked what they ate or not? I paid for the entire d*mn meal, anyway!), but from the looks of all the licked-clean empty plates, I assume they enjoyed their meals as much as I did. I know that I would have liked both of those other weekend specials myself, too. I think that both Cam and Kerry commented that the French toast would have been even a bit more better with some sliced bananas on top to go along with the blueberry compote on the side.

I did not ask for nor see any condimentary supplementation that they might have had to offer. None was really needed for my meal this morning, anyway.


glen Bacon Scale rating:
Butternut Squash-Potato Pancakes 
with pepper jelly ~ 7.0

___________________

1. https://www.plainville.ma.us/

2. Hmmm?! I wonder if they serve mutton chops and fried chicken for breakfast at the Commodore Hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment