Monday, July 5, 2010

Amici’s East Coast Pizzeria

Cold Pizza, Warm Heart…

I know cold pizza is not your prototypical breakfast fare (well, it is when your last name is McGowan), but it is a great, quick breakfast for leftover pizza from the night before.

This discussion has been brought up a few times in my general (bizarre little) circle just this week. My brother Sean ("Hi, Sean!") has claimed as his defacedbook status that "Why does nothing in the world make as good a breakfast as cold pizza? And why haven't restaurateurs tried to capitalize on this fact? It should be right there on menus alongside omelets and hashbrowns." And on Friday afternoon, we were talking about the greatness of cold pizza at work where a co-worker ("Hi, Bill!") stated that he makes what he calls "cold pizza omelettes" the morning after. What this entails is either: 1) scraping off all the toppings and then cutting the crust/dough into bite-sized pieces and putting the entire mess into an omelette or scrambled eggs; or 2) just scraping the toppings off and adding them to scrabbled eggs, and as long as the crust/dough is still pizza-worthy, topping it with the egg-pizza mixture and then eating it hand held. I like the latter idea best and would try it one of these days if I either had the inclination to cook… or ever had eggs in my refrigerator with which to make it.

I had dinner last night with my brother Nick and his wife Kathy at Amici's East Coast Pizzeria* "A Taste of New York", the one located on Lombard Street. They make a very good pizza and state that their pizzas are "The Best Pizza West of New York...", which is a lofty claim, and, in my opinion, not entirely true: the best pizza in San Francisco has to be Tommaso's in North Beach ~ hands down. However, Amici's pizzas are a very decent pie; the wood-burning brick ovens make all the difference.

http://www.amicis.com/

http://tommasos.com/


(And, by the way, it has only taken me three months or so to finally figure out how to get these hyperlinks done correctly. One of these day, I may even figure out the added videos thingy.)

I had ordered one of their small Pizza Margherita ~ Mozzarella, Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, and Olive Oil (Tomato Sauce Optional) (optional tomato sauce opted), and on the way to the table they dropped one slice (out of six slices) and insisted on making me an entire new pizza, but still giving me the 5-slice one for free. The five slices of pizza were actually more than enough for me to eat. So, I was forced to take the entire extra pizza home for breakfast this morning.

To complement the pizza ("My, you are looking extra tasty this morning, senorita Margherita!"), I brewed up some Bettys Applegrove blend coffee that I had just received in a care package from North Yorkshire ("Thanks, Cindy and Greg!").

Buon (freddo) appetito!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Amici's hot pizza ~ 7.0; Amici's cold pizza~ 6.9; Bettys coffee ~ 7.0


*(Now is this word pronounced "PEET-sa-ria" or "PIZ-eria" in the Brooklynese/Italiano dialect? Take your pick… or fuggedabouditt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment