Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Linda Jean’s Restaurant

Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard, MA (Tuesday, 07/13/10)




No vacation to Massachusetts should be complete without a trip to Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard. I was lucky enough to do both this time.

Joining me on this trip were my mother, my sister Sharon (see, I didn’t forget to mention you), and my brother Sean. An early morning ferry from Woods Hole took us to the town of Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard. If we had waited another 1:15 minutes for the next ferry, we could have disembarked in Vineyard Haven instead and had breakfast at the Black Dog, but that would have been almost lunchtime by then. As it was, we went straight to breakfast to Linda Jean's Restaurant in downtown Oak Bluffs. Linda Jean's is a decent enough place, it’s not the Black Dog, though.

I ordered "the Mess" (they added the quotation marks), just because it sounded like something I would order. "The Mess" is: 3 eggs scrambled with fresh spinach, onions and Swiss cheese, served with home fries, toast and coffee. There was a ton o' "fresh spinach" and lots of cheese, too. Their home fries are very good: just greasy enough and with a good amount of spices. I choose a homemade biscuit as my toast choice. All the food was great, but their coffee was just your standard restaurant/diner fare ~ nothing special.

My mother had the (boring) Number 2: "2 large eggs - any style - home fries, your choice of breakfast meat, toast and coffee." Mom went with poached eggs, bacon (which she gave to Sean), and the marble rye toast. She thought the home fries were too greasy; I thought they were just right.

Sharon had the Healthy Start: "We start by substituting Egg Beaters, then we scramble in a mix of br*ccoli, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, tomato, peppers and onion. Served with home fries, toast and coffee." First off, again with the vile weed?! At least they also had the good taste to included spinach and asparagus. Secondly, who wants to order a healthy start to the day? (And exactly how healthy are those home fries?) It looked pretty decent; however, the photo I took of her meal didn’t come out very good. Sharon also opted for the marble rye toast; I liked my biscuit, but the marble rye looked pretty darn tasty, too.

 
Sean had the Other Fruit Pancakes. He ordered the peach variety and the pancakes were of the buttermilk type. Now this was a pretty disappointing dish. He had expected the peaches to be fresh and inside the pancakes. As it turned out, they were only canned peaches and served on top of the pancakes with whipped cream. They really missed the boat (or ferry) on this one; fresh peaches (and some fresh ground ginger) would have made this a real winner. At least there were four of 'em.

 



Glen Bacon Scale Rating: "the Mess" ~ 6.5; Other Fruit Pancakes ~ 6.0 (per Sean); Coffee ~ 5.2
(Oops! I forgot to poll the rest of the table on their ratings. Sorry. Besides, it's my 'blog. Let them write their own reviews.)

2 comments:

  1. The pancakes themselves were pretty good, albeit lacking in internal peaches. I'll give 'em a 6.0 on the GBS.

    ReplyDelete