Monday, July 19, 2010

Neighborhood Restaurant & Bakery

Somerville, MA (Saturday, 07/10/10)




I was on vacation all last week in Massachusetts and was lucky enough to go out to breakfast a few times while there. My first stop was on the way back from Logan Airport when my brother Kerry picked me up at 7:00am from a red-eye flight (for which he stated that this was worth two normal "Airport Pickups"). He took me to a nice local place called Neighborhood Restaurant & Bakery in Somerville (a suburb of Boston next to Cambridge). They have a great outdoor breakfast patio covered with grape trellises providing a nice shady cover, which came in very handy as it was starting to be a scorcher already in Beantown.



I had their Coconut French Toast ~ dipped in coconut milk, and topped with coconut flakes and whipped cream. This would probably have been enough for me; however, most meals come with: a bowl of homemade cream of wheat, 2 eggs, sausage, home fries, coffee, and orange juice. I asked them to hold the sausage, and they substituted another egg in its place (without telling me). The French Toast was excellent; it is second only to the Pain Perdu at Baker Street Bistro (see entry from April 17th). Their cream of wheat is also a great starter; it has lots of flavour and lots of added cinnamon.


Kerry had the Garden Goat Cheese Omelet ~ with br*ccoli, mushroom, spinach, asparagus, tomatoes. This also comes with the requisite: bowl of homemade cream of wheat, home fries, coffee, and orange juice. I was going to choose this one and ask for it without the vile weed. It had lots of spinach and asparagus in it which more than made up for the d*mn br*ccoli.


















Kerry knows of my penchant for hot sauces and provided me with a brand new bottle of Tropical Pepper Co. XXXtra Hot Habañero Pepper Sauce, which was a nice alternative to the ubiquitous Tabasco® Sauce. It was not nearly as hot as the XXX would imply, but it had a good kick and nice flavour.

I had introduced Kerry to Dottie's when he visited San Francisco three years ago, so this was a nice turnabout-fair-play.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Coconut French Toast ~ 7.6; Cream o' Wheat ~ 7.0; Omelet ~ 6.8 (per Kerry)

No comments:

Post a Comment