Thursday, July 22, 2010

Quintal’s Crack O’ Dawn

Wareham, MA (Thursday, 07/15/10, and Friday, 07/16/10)


Part the First





The choices of breakfast places in my parents' hometown of Wareham, MA ("the Gateway to Cape Cod") are pretty slim pickin's. However, I did get the chance to go to one of the better places in town twice last week: Quintal's Crack O' Dawn (no risqué comments on the restaurant name please, this is a family 'blog). I talked my brother Sean into another breakfast sojourn with me.

I had the Nitty Gritty (from their POWER BREAKFASTS list): 2 poached eggs on grits w/bacon (Sean ate those) ham or sausage, homefries topped with salsa & corn bread. I really liked this idea of poached eggs on grits. The corn bread was very good and a large portion to boot; it was grilled to reheat it and that added another depth of flavour. The corn bread might have been even better if it had some fresh corn and jalapeños in it. The salsa could have used some work, though; it seemed to be straight out of a jar ("Made in New York City?!… Get a rope!"). Some fresh pico de gallo would have really been a much better bet. And the only thing missing from this meal was cheese ~ some shredded Cheddar in the grits or on the home fries (or both) would have been great, but that is just me nitty-gritty picking.

Sean had the Georgia Toast: French toast made from wheat bread with peaches and pecans. Again, the peaches were of the canned variety, but it still looked pretty good.

Sorry, no pictures available from this morning's breakfast… Sean forgot to remind me to bring my camera!

Nitty Gritty at the Crack O' Dawn just sounds wrong, but it was really pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAkhyks0uRs



Part D'oh!




Not to be outdone by Sean, my sister Sharon insisted on going out to breakfast again on Friday morning (which was a good idea before our little kayak trip around the beaches of Wareham).

This time from their POWER BREAKFASTS list I had the Skillet Breakfast: 2 eggs on home fries w/ham (skipped this) onions & peppers w/melted Cheddar cheese served in a skillet (hence the name). This was a lot of food and a good choice. It had tons o' green bell peppers and onions, and lots o' cheeses. Plus, I always like meals that are served right in the preparation vehicle ~ that’s how I eat at home.





Sean ordered from their GREAT AWAKENINGS list: 2 Farm Fresh Eggs served w/toast and homefries, and the PERFECT PARTNER of Ham.




Sharon had the Belgium (sic) Waffle w/fruit. The fruit in this case was from frozen blueberries and strawberries, and fresh bananas. This looked like it would be much better with all fresh fruits, tho'.




Glen Bacon Scale Rating: the Nitty Gritty ~ 6.5; Georgia Toast ~ ?.?; Skillet Breakfast ~ 6.5; Great Awakenings ~ ?.?; Belgium Waffle ~ ?.?
(Again, I forgot to poll the table for their ratings. But what the heck do I care? I enjoyed my meals.)

No comments:

Post a Comment