Saturday, October 2, 2010

B Star Bar

(or) B Star Bar (which to me just seems kind of redundant to me)



http://www.bstarbar.com/


B Star Bar is the sister restaurant to both Burma Superstar* (think Burmese/Asian fusion ~ and that is fusion as in nukular, George W.) and Eats (see: April 10th, 2010 entry); all three are located within blocks of each other along Clement Street. I have had dinner here before (their Basil Chili Tofu is a keeper), but this is the first time I have had breakfast here.

I ordered the Stuffed Azuki Almond Banana French Toast (which is a bit of a mouthful, but does describe exactly what you are getting) ~ Japanese red beans & mascarpone, cinnamon. This is your basic French toast slathered with an azuki bean and mascarpone paste between slices of bread, sprinkled with sliced roasted almonds, and with lots of chunks of bananas around it; it was very lightly-battered/egg-dipped, not soggy at all; and served with real maple syrup (it may sound like a little thing, but it really does add lots of extra flavour, not to mention extra points in the Glen Bacon Scale Rating). It was very good and I especially liked all the interesting ingredients; however, it wasn't Baker Street Bistro's Pain Perdu, but, then again, not many are (this is not to insult this tasty breakfast; I doubt that either Nicole Kidman or Uma Thurman mind being compared with Marilyn Monroe).




I had this with a side o' home fries, which were more like roasted potatoes, not greasy at all (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing either); they were nicely spiced already, but the addition of their home-made chili oil was still a nice touch.

In place of the ubiquitous orange juice, I had a glass of Mango Lassi (not to be confused with a "Coconut Rin-Tin-Tin" ~ I had to add that corn-ball joke so as to curtail any like replies by my older brother, who shall remain nameless… and I don't mean Kerry); this was more like a mango smoothie (beware the brain-freeze!) than a typical Indian-style lassi that I am used to.

To round out the breakfast, I also ordered the Vietnamese Style Drip Coffee (that I had first misread as Viennese coffee ~ which did sound a bit out of place with the theme of the rest of the food) which automatically comes with sweetened condensed milk. They bring it right to your table and you patiently wait while it does its job. This was a very cool drip contraption; I may have to find one for my own home use. The coffee was very strong (read: very good) and reminded me of a Greek/Turkish/Arabic coffee, just without the extra added benefit of the grounds at the bottom.




They only have Tapatío® and Huy Fong Foods Inc.® Sriracha hot sauces upon request, but their (aforementioned) home-made chili oil was more than sufficient and flavourful.

Like Eats and Q (see: July 31st, 2010 entry) ~ and coincidentally both in the same area on lower Clement Street ~ this is another good place to go back to one of these days to check out some of the other interesting breakfasts on the menu (e.g. Hijiki Tofu Scramble, Lentil Ragu, etc.).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Stuffed Azuki Almond Banana French Toast ~ 7.2; Vietnamese Coffee ~ 7.0; Home Fries ~ 6.9; Mango Lassi ~ 6.8


*(Burma Superstar has the BEST-tasting curry I have had in any Indian, Thai, or South Asian place EVER! It's hard to explain without actually tasting it… but I am always up for a dinner there if anyone wants to try it for themselves. I am not saying I am an expert on curries, but I have been eating them since the early 80's and know what I like. Plus their Tea Leaf Salad and Rainbow Salad are worth the trip there alone.
http://www.burmasuperstar.com/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment