Saturday, October 9, 2010

B Star Star Bar Bar

Bis bis, Signore Porky Suino!



http://www.bstarbar.com/


Okay, I know that I stated last week that I would like to check out some of the other breakfast items at B Star Bar; however, however, I really hadn't expected to go there two weeks running (or sitting still, even)… but you know what Lenny Small always said about fate: "George, tell me about the rabbits again."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlVqfC8-UI

I had purposely headed over to Clement Street again this weekend with the intent of going to Eats (
see: April 10th, 2010 entry) to check out something different on their menu for breakfast; however, it was closed due to a plumbing problem. They had someone sitting out front directing people over to their "sister restaurant" which is just across the street and down the block a few doors. As I was already in the neighborhood, I figured it was just easier to check out B Star Bar again again. B Star normally normally opens at 10:00am for Saturday breakfasts, but they had opened at 9:00am today to handle the overflow from Eats. After all, what are "sisters" for (no, really, I only had one growing up and am not quite sure and would really like to know)?
 
I tried the Lentil Ragu* ~ curried lentils and vegetable medley with poached eggs and wheat toast. This medley included: snow peas, carrots, zucchini, cauliflower, and tomatoes; the curry sauce was very tasty, too. The entire dish was good, but just not as good as their Stuffed Azuki Almond Banana French Toast. I would recommend the lentil ragoût to people, and would order it again; however, unlike the French toast, it would not demand a trip there all by itself.

To round out the meal, I ordered a side o' home fries again again, which were as good as last week. I also had a glass of their Ginger Lemonade ~ this was an excellent choice, just like at Burma Superstar; made with fresh squeezed lemons, fresh ginger, and sparking water; it was very refreshing. I also ordered a Golden Monkey (this is a type of tea, not some kinda bizarre Asian side dish) ~ it was a decent enough tea (Bettys has nothing to fear, though) and really didn't need any additional sugar to sweeten it; I did find that it was overpowered by all the other spices (curry) and flavours of the meal; this tea probably would have been a nice one to enjoy at the start of a meal all by itself.





As I was expecting to eat at Eats, and I knew they already had some decent hot sauces available, I did not bring any of my own stash with me. I also knew from last week that B Star only only have Tapatío® available and Sriracha hot sauce, but my waiter located a bottle of Tabasco® for me to use, also. As it were, I went with some Tapatio® on the potatoes only; the lentil curry was flavourful enough on its own and really didn’t need any extra spiciness.

The picture at the top of this entry of B
Star's street street sign sign depicts the weekend special Blueberry Angel Pancakes in honour of Fleet Week (Blue Angels, nu?). I was not quite sure why Popeye was included on the board, as there really were no spinach specials on the breakfast menu; possibly it was to go along with the whole Navy theme (I would have gone with a drawing of Squidward Tentacles, myself); it was a pretty decent rendition of the Sailor Man, though.

And as hard as I tried, I just couldn't get my server to admit that he had monkeyed with the pipes over at Eats.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Lentil Ragu ~ 6.5; Ginger Lemonade ~ 6.6; Golden Monkey ~ 6.3


*(I just have one little cunning linguistic spelling point here ~ and this is not to mention the whole whole B
Star redundancy redundancy fiasco fiasco again again ~ "ragù" is the correct Italiano spelling of this word and I would have thought that the French spelling of "ragoût" would have been a much better fit. What's the big deal, Mademoiselle Vanna? Just buy another vowel and add another ~ even if it is silent ~ consonant.)

No comments:

Post a Comment