Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Village Grill


http://thevillagegrillsf.com/


The Village Grill is over on West Portal in the West Portal area (go figure). West Portal has that sleepy village atmosphere, so this is a perfect little breakfast place for the neighborhood. They have a good selection of breakfast dishes and offer several weekend specials, too. I sat at the counter and had a great view of their extensive plate collection.



I had to go with the San Franciscan omelette today ~ Spinach, Mushrooms, and Swiss Cheese; and with the choice of sourdough toast ~ in honour of the San Francisco Giants* (your 2010 NL Champs). All egg breakfasts come with either fruit or potatoes ~ never a tough choice for me ~ what am I, some kinda fruititarian? The omelette had lots of fresh spinach (for which, I am happy to state again, it was none of the frozen stuff) and lots and lots of 'shrooms (some kinda wild type ~ sorry, all you fungi-fobes ~ "Hi, Skip!"). Their potato choice was a very good hash browns/home fries mix, made with chunks of onions and green peppers, too.



I skipped the house coffee (I figured their coffee couldn't really be much better than the swill that I make at home and other than being "black and hot" it probably wouldn't have much flavour ~ unlike Beyoncé and Halle Berry, who are both "black and hot" and very tasty, I am sure). So instead, after breakfast, I headed up the street to Peet's® Coffee for a cuppa their daily brew; today it happened to be their Garuda blend. A very nice way to top off the morning.

http://www.peets.com/shop/coffee_detail.asp?id=52&cid=1005

They only have Tabasco® (standard red) on the tables, so I used some Cholula® on the omelette and some chipotle-habañero on the potatoes (I came prepared with three different types today). The guy sitting next to me even borrowed some of the
chipotle-habañero to use on his breakfast. He asked me if I had ever tried any HP® brown sauce on breakfast; HP® is a very popular condiment in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland ~ which is very similar to 'merica's version of A.1.® Steak Sauce. I have tried this sauce many times over in Englandia and may have to think about buying a bottle to bring along with me on the weekends as an alternative.

The meal was all very good, I was just a little disappointed that my breakfast wasn't served on a Mona Lisa collection plate or something… they could have at least offered.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: the San Franciscan ~ 6.5; Potatoes ~ 6.9; Peet's® Garuda Blend~ 7.0


*(With Giants fever sweeping the City and all the orange and black decorations around town, it almost feels like Hallowe'en around here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment