Sunday, October 31, 2010

TOAST Eatery

naWHAT'Sme?



http://www.toasteatery.com/
 

There are two Noe Valley* locations for TOAST Eatery. I went to their second restaurant, the one located in "downtown Noe Valley" on 24th Street in the spot vacated by the old Herb's Fine Foods. It maintains a 50's-style Diner look to it and there are several "cartoon literalism" murals/artwork by Sirron Norris on the walls.



















http://www.sirronnorris.com/

 
I had the Sicilian Omelet (not Frittata, nor Fritatta even) ~ Spinach, Sun Dried & Fresh Tomato, Pesto, Onion, & Feta. The choices of toast are: White, Wheat, Rye, Sourdough, or English Muffin; I went with plain ol' wheat bread toast. The side of hash browns were nice and crispy. The omelette had lots of spinach (fresh again), lots of Feta (I asked my server and she told me that she was pretty sure it was a local California Feta; it tasted very good and I assumed it was Greek), and lots of sun-dried tomatoes (I have found that places usually are a bit chintzy on both Feta and sun-dried tomatoes). The flavour combination was very nice and really didn’t even need the extra ingredient of onions, in my opinion.





They serve a good, strong cuppa coffee, Mr. Espresso® (a long-standing Bay Area roastery); it was served with a fun little milk pitcher/creamer (but good coffee should always be drank black, thank you very much). TOAST is right next door to a St*rbucks, and this coffee was much better than that corporate brand.

http://mrespresso.com/

 
They have the ubiquitous standard red Tabasco® only on the tables; so I used some of my own Trees Can't Dance Tree Fire Sauce ("Thanks again, Greg & Cindy!") on the hash browns.

As today is Hallowe'en, the cute female server, Colleen, (Sorry, Diane!) was dressed as one of the "Three Blind Mice"; she said two other co-workers were coming as the rest of the mousy trio. They still hadn't shown up by the time I finished eating. Guess the couldn't "see their way to coming to work"!

I like the simplicity of the restaurant's name, and much like Eats (see April 10th, 2010 entry), the food is much better than the basic name would imply. However, my only minor complaint is, with an eatery named "TOAST", I would have expected many more and some interesting different types of bread (Rosemary, Potato, or any others). But what's in a name?


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Siciliana Omelet ~ 7.0; Mr. Espresso coffee ~ 6.9


*(Just to let everyone know, Noe Valley is not named after Rudy. I looked it up. The neighborhood is actually named after José de Jesús Noé, the last alcade, or mayor, of Yerba Buena ~ present day San Francisco.)

No comments:

Post a Comment