Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dottie’s TRUE BLUE CAFE

10, Десять, Zehn, Δέκα, Dieci, Dix, Diez, عشرة, and עשר















As today is October 10th, 2010 (or 10/10/10 for you numerologically challenged), I figured what better way to celebrate than with one of the best (again, there are no Tens on the Glen Bacon Scale) breakfast places in San Francisco (and subsequently, one of the best in the World). And to top it off, Dottie's TRUE BLUE CAFE was playing a little Lady Ella when I was sitting there waiting for my food (but just what the heck does "Take A Train" mean, though?) ~ I can’t think of a better way to start off a beautiful Fall Sunday.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxuc0W--88

The above photos are of Dottie's chandeliers that are made from coffee making instruments and cups: a copper pot one and an Italiano espresso maker one. They have several others, too; I just figured I'd open this entry with something different other than a shot of the outside of the restaurant as I have already written about
Dottie's twice and both times supplied a picture of the façade; it hasn’t changed in the past two months.

As usual, I ordered from their Specials Board: Zucchini cakes ~ topped with poached eggs & spicy Marinara sauce; fruit & potatoes. Think of this as an Italiano fresh take on the classic Eggs Benedicto, Arnold. The zucchini cakes form the basis for this, and are a great idea. The Marinara sauce was excellent ~ chunky and fresh, with just a touch of spicy heat. I have had this dish a few times before and it is always a good choice. I also had a glass of grapefruit juice and a cuppa coffee to round it out.



Dottie's is one of the few places that offer more than just one or two different types of bottled hot sauces on the tables. They have several different varieties of Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce and a few others from which to choose. I went with the Tabasco® Chipotle and Frank's® RedHot Chile'nLime ~ a little of both on the potatoes (on each sides of the pile); Dottie's Marinara sauce was plenty tasty on its own and did not need me messin' with the flavour any.

Dining at
Dottie's is always an International affair. There were two Israeli women sitting at the table next to me. I only learned this as after one of them sneezed, I insulted her by saying "Sakha!" (which is Arabic for "Gesundheit!", which you should probably not say to someone from Israel either, "Greg"). I really didn't catch much of what they were saying to each other beforehand and my language ID hadn't really kicked-in yet this morning; I just assumed they were speaking Arabic… oops!* I did make sure to say "Shalom!" when they were leaving, though. The next table over was a guy visiting from Los Ångeles, his friend was a local San Franciscano, though; I talked him into ordering the Zucchini Cakes, too.

One day I will have to go there and just order from their Baked Goods Specials board. Today's line-up included some great choices: Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake; Red Plum Streusel Coffee Cake (which would have been my first choice); Coconut Honey Muffin; Pumpkin Crumb Cake; Whiskey Blueberry Crumb Cake (which would have been my second choice); Apple Caramel Tart; and several other tasty entries.



One of Dottie's cute little trademarks (Dottie's?) is that at each table there is a different kitschy salt-and-pepper shaker combination. Today, mine happened to be these Siamese cats (sorry, no Lady or Tramp available, Walt). There is also a display of several snow globes on the dining countertop by the stove. I presented Kurt with one that I had bought from Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard; it was one from the Flying Horses Carousel. I had specifically purchased it for this purpose. Next time I go, I will be sure to take a photo of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Horses_Carousel


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Zucchini Cakes ~ 7.77 (in keeping with the whole numerological thingy)


*(Just to let everyone know I am not generally anti-semantic: I actually know the difference between Jewish, Hebrew, and Israeli.)

2 comments:

  1. Love the Dottie's. Were the self medicators around while you were standing in line to get in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very early on a Sunday morning (I got there right at 7:30 before they opened and got right in for the first seating) and there weren't too many "local street performers" up yet.

    ReplyDelete