Saturday, February 26, 2011

Chloe♥s Cafe

Sunshine and cold… but no snow!


(still no website available)


I went back to
Chloe♥s Cafe, in outer Noe Valley, for my first visit this year (see last 'blog-entry from September 19th, 2010). Chloe♥s is currently out of my "Breakfast Rotation", but is still a great "Spring Training Try-out". (Baseball is getting ready to start again, Spring Training officially got under way yesterday. Go Red Sox and Giants!) As there is seating for only 20 inside and just another 8-10 seats outside on the sidewalk (weather permitting, or whether permitting), there was a bit of a wait to get in this morning. The forecast yesterday actually called for chances of SNOW in San Francisco; that never panned out, but it was still pretty cold this morning even with the Sun out, though.

As usual, I forewent their basic menu and had the Special scramble: two scrambled eggs (hence the "scramble" part of the special) with mushroom, basil, roasted red bell peppers, and Mozzarella cheese served with a cup of fruit or home fries and a choice of toast. I chose the home fries (because they are very good and I can make my own cup of fruit at home) and Whole Wheat Walnut Bread/Toast for a change, and had a cuppa the house coffee.





There was lots of fresh basil chiffonade* (and this is a good thing, Emeril) in the scramble. The roasted red peppers were a nice combination with the Mozzarella/Italiano-themed scramble. I think this might have been even better substituting sun-dried tomatoes instead (a Scrambled Margherita, forse?). The whole wheat walnut toast was good, but just not as good as the White Rosemary Bread/Toast that I always get (which probably would have paired better with the whole Italiano scramble idea).

I used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce ~ which was very good once again ~ (Thanks, Amy-monster!) on the home fried potatoes (which were of the red variety) and some fresh cracked pepper from my portable McCormick's® grinder on both the scramble and potatoes.

I just noticed today that Chloe♥s does not offer any kind of "omelettes" on their menu. They are probably like me and figure "scrambles" are just easier to make.
However, there is still no Chloe to be found on the premises…


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Special Scramble ~ 6.9; Whole wheat walnut toast ~ 6.7


*(Useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:


"Chiffonade" is just a fancy-shmancy cooking term that means to finely cut into long, thin strips. It is not a piece of furniture with drawers and a place to hang clothes; I looked it up. "Chiffon" en français means "rag" referring to the fabric-like strips that result from this technique. To chiffonade simply means to turn into rag-like strips.


I learned this word from watching many hours of the Food Network on TeeVee. I think they just like to use these big words to make us feel culinarily inadequate. Bite me, Rachel Ray… no really, I would like for Rachel Ray or Giada De Laurentiis to actually nibble on me a little. I am sure I would taste great with a liberal dose of PAFFPS.)

No comments:

Post a Comment