Saturday, June 11, 2011

Baker Street Bistro

A little Pain Perdu… and a little "pain" pour moi



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFyuhTwi_OE


To kick off my Birthday Weekend Breakfast Spree, it should be no surprise that I headed to Baker Street Bistro (see 'blog-entry from April 9th, 2011 for my last visit), which is one of my favourite breakfast joints. It should also be no surprise that I had their most excellent Pain Perdu. I also had a side order of the home fries (I really need to try their French fries one of these days; I noticed that they serve them in a little paper cone thingy inside a sundae glass) and a cuppa coffee.

http://www.bakerstreetbistro.com/



I won't even bother describing again how good this breakfast truly is (you can see a few of my past raves on this dish); you really need to experience this for yourself. The fresh fruit today was: red grapes, pineapple, cantaloupe, watermelon, apples, and oranges.

I knew that their complimentary supplementation was simply Tabasco® (and the standard red only), so I went with some Blair's
After Death Sauce with liquid fire on the home fries ~ brand new to my collection (Thanks a lot, Sean!!!*).

"Ingredients: Habañero (sic)** Peppers, Vinegar, Cayeññe*** Peppers, Salt, Garlic, Natural Flavor****, Chipotle Peppers, Corn Starch, Lime Juice Concentrate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Onion, Herbs, Spices"

http://www.extremefood.com/shop/home.php

Additionally, I also used some of my McCormick® Black Peppercorn Grinder (thanks go to Herr Flukwheat for this great little idea) as it seems that the French (as well as the Englanders) prefer the finely powdered pepper type. Not me, I like to see the bits of freshly cracked pepper on everything (well, except on my Pain Perdu, but I have been known to use some on cantaloupe and watermelon in the past).

When I was parking my car alongside the Presidio (over by the Lombard Street gate entrance) I heard and saw several dozen of the Wild Parrots of San Francisco in the tall eucalyptus trees where they roost. They were really squawking up a storm this morning and could still be heard a block away as I headed over to eat.

"Pain Perdu, please, Mr. Izzard." (You really have to watch the silly little EweToob link at the top of this entry to get this joke. And if you haven't viewed the video, why not?!)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Pain Perdu ~ 8.2; Blair's
After Death Sauce ~ 50,000 Scoville Units, 6.5 Glen Bacon Scale Units


*(This is to be read in a very sarcastic tone.

I received a birthday swag package from my brother Sean yesterday. It was a very "deadly" themed birthday gift:
Blair's After Death Sauce
The Walking Dead ~ "The Complete First Season" DVD
The Decemberists ~ "The King is Dead" CD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9DjdMrpHg

I really didn't get the whole birthday gift theme joke, though.

Anyway,
Blair's After Death Sauce is rated at 50,000 Scoville Heat Units; that would make it about 10 times hotter than the normal Tabasco® product. I only used 5-6 large drops/splashes and it was still ridiculously hot ~ this stuff is to be used sparingly. The flavour is basically overpowered by the heat, but it really does have a nice aroma ~ just don't inhale too deeply or you may never need a nasal spray again. I have had hotter hot sauces, but not in quite some time. I bet just one drop of this stuff would have killed poor Poppie on contact, Jerry.

Another cool thing about Blair's bottles of hot sauces is that they all come with a little skull on a key chain; so, I am using that as a zipper pull on my "European Carry-all" bag thingy.

This bottle will last me for a very long time… I am afraid.)

**(They have this misspelled as "Habañero" on their label; much like my misconception in the past where I had assumed that "Habañero", like "Jalapeño", had the little "ñ" thingy in it.)

***(They didn't really misspell this one, I just liked the idiocy.)

****(By "Natural Flavor", I am assuming this means the pepper extract/capsaicin. This is the stuff that gives pepper spray its kick, just don't spray it on your potatoes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment