Saturday, June 4, 2011

Slow Club

Ellas Otha Bates* knows breakfast?



http://www.slowclub.com/


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3-rf4EgAm8


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U5HpeA_WSo


(There is really no correlation between Slow Club and Bo Diddley. On my way over to breakfast this morning, my local old-fogies station KFOG was re-running one of their "10-at-10" shows from earlier this week and one of them happened to be a show of "Bo Diddley Beats" songs. I never even would have guessed that the the** Smiths song was of that ilk; but, after they played it and I heard it for probably the the*** ten thousandth time, I actually caught it.)



Slow Club is a pretty decent "industrial cocktail" joint in the area between Potrero Hill and the Mission (right across the street from the Potrero MUNI yard); I am not sure what the neighborhood is really designated. They offer some pretty good things for "Brunch". The place filled up fast early on a Saturday morning, even in spite of the nasty precipitation we had. Rain in Junuary? (I stole that term from Billy Equality Bradford on defacedbook. And everyone knows that inclement weather and "Brunch" are the real threats to traditional 'merican marriage!)

I like how they have their bathrooms marked as "Man" and "Woman" (both singular); so, ladies, no doubling up in there and talking about your cheapo dates behind their backs. I really liked their two very hot servers this morning: a red-head and a "burnette", T-Bone. This brings to mind the whole Ginger or Mary Ann debate (however, at my age even Mrs. Howell is starting to look good).

They don't have that many vegetarian dishes on their menu. Though, I liked the looks of the Frittata**** ~ baby spinach, king trumpet mushrooms, red onion, provolone, asparagus, & roasted red pepper relish, with home fries and greens. From their "Cocktails" menu, I ordered a Bicyclette ~ st. germain elderflower liqueur & sparkling wine, served with an orange twist. To make it a compleat breakfast, I also had a cuppa good, strong coffee; they serve Mr. Espresso coffee, which I have had before and knew to be a decent local roastery.

http://mrespresso.com/





The "Frittata" is simply enough named, but it was very good with some great, fresh ingredients: lots of asparagus and spinach, baby. It was a correctly-made frittata: prepared on the stove, then finished in the oven (I asked my server who confirmed this ~ it was done in a standard oven, not with a "Salamander", the broiler thingy above the stove in some professional kitchens). Now, I am not sure what a "king trumpet mushroom"***** is, Satchmo, but I liked them, too. The roasted red pepper relish was very good, just not enough of it, in my opinion ("a little dab'll do ya", Mr. Bryl, but not me). The only thing I could think of that might have been a nice addition to the frittata would have been some fresh finocchio, Signore Geppetto.

I liked the cocktail well enough. I am not quite sure what St. Germain Elderflower liqueur is, but there didn't seem to be enough of it in my drink; the orange rind strip ~ simple as it sounds ~ really helped, though.

They offer as complimentary supplements Cholula® and Heinz® ketchup******. Once again, I went with some Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Amy!) on the home fries and just a little Trees Can't Dance ~ Belizean Habanero Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on the frittata.

You have to love a place that uses a Master Allen Stuart Konigsberg saying at the entrance window:





Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Frittata (o Fritatta) ~ 7.2; Bicyclette ~ 6.5


*(That would be "Bo Diddley" to you, Mr. Squat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Diddley


How many other legendary Rhythm & Blues and Rock-and/or-Roll icons have a style of music/beat named after them?)

**(This is not a typo ~ or even a type AB-Negative ~ I just didn't know what the correct grammatical modifier would be when referencing a song by "the Smiths".)


***(That was an intentional typo, of "coarse".)


****(They have this spelled correctly as "Frittata" on both their printed menus and on their on-line menu; however, when the bill came, I noticed that they had it "mispeled" as "Fritatta". No big deal, I just wasn't sure that I was spelling it correctly to begin with.)


*****(For your edification or eating education:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_trumpet_mushroom )


******(Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:


The word "ketchup" ~ or the less frequently used spelling "catsup" ~ comes from Chinese or Malay and means "fish sauce". In 'merica, ketchup/catsup is generally made from tomatoes; however, there are mushroom-, walnut-, and even banana-based versions, too.


Interestingly enough, as many 'blog-entries as I have done here, I think this may be my first reference to "ketchup". When it comes to 'merican condimentary supplementation, ketchup is okay; however, I think that salsas/hot sauces are mucho bettero. And don't even get me started on the highly superior
τζατζίκι with French fries, Don!)

No comments:

Post a Comment