Monday, June 13, 2011

The Bistro Restaurant @ Cliff House

Happy Popovers(!) Day



http://cliffhouse.com/bistro/index.html


I hadn't been to the Bistro Restaurant @ Cliff House in several months (see 'blog-entry from January 29th, 2011) and figured what better way to spend my birthday breakfast than enjoying some historic, World-Class Popovers(!); plus, the rest of the food is pretty decent.




I say "historic" as the above plaque states this to be so. I say "World-Class" because people come from all over the planet just to eat their most excellent Popovers(!). The table next to me was full of a German tourist family* and the table next to them had a family of Dutch tourists. I know this because one of the family members was taking a picture of the other three, so I asked them if they would like me to take a picture of the entire table. I noticed an accent and asked them where they were from and they told me the Netherlands (which is somewhere right next to Holland, I am pretty sure). I asked them to say "kaas" when I took their photo (they got that cheesy joke, at least).

For breakfast, I once again ordered the Sautéed** Vegetable Scramble ~ Scrambled Eggs, Red Peppers, Tomatoes, Scallions, Button Mushrooms, & Melted Goat Cheese. Actually, I tried tricking my trusty server ~ who I have known from several years of visiting there ~ into bringing me a Greek Omelette. They used to make the best Greek Omelette (with authentic Kalamata olives and Feta), but took it off the menu several years back; which really is a pity, too, as it was almost as good as the Popovers(!).

I also had a cuppa the house coffee, and, of course, the reason for the whole visit: the oft- and afore-mentioned Popovers(!); there were only three today in the basket (and I "forced" myself to finish them all).

Today's side of fresh fruit: honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes, and strawberries. Well, strawberry ~ singular, not that it would matter to me if they had rocks on the side of the plate, just as long as they keep serving their Popovers(!), I will always be coming back for more.



For condimentary supplementation today, I wanted to try out some more of my Big Papi ~ En Fuego Hot Sauce that I had just received this weekend (Thanks again, Kerry!). I used a little of the Original Mild on the scramble and some Off The Wall Triple Hot on the potatoes. I could taste the differences in both of these better today. I liked them both.

On the wall next to/above my table today were these Hollywoodland photos:


















(Picture 1, top to bottom)

??? (I recognize the face, but don't know what to do with the name); Richard Greene
???; Irving Berlin
Penny Singleton ("Blondie Bumstead"); Arthur Lake ("Dagwood Bumstead")


















(Picture 2, top to bottom)

(a very young) Robert Shaw(?); Robert Conrad
Michael Douglas; Jackie Cooper
Herb Caen (a local San Francisco Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist); ??? (this one is killing me that I can't name/recognize her; neither could my trusty server who had supplied me with Richard Greene's name above and a few other names in the past)
Linda Darnell; some guy that lives in my neighborhood (and really brings down the property values, mind you) trying to do his best Groucho Marx impression

Once again, as the signatures were either too faded or too high up on the wall to read, anyone that can fill in the ??? holes with the correct names will be treated to all the Popovers(!) you can eat… at my treat. I might even spring for breakfast, too.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Sautéed Vegetable Scramble ~ 6.8; Popovers(!) ~ 8.2


*(I later ran into the same German family on the North Side of the Golden Gate Bridge ~ I walked the entire span, back-and-forth, this morning to work off the big breakfast and as a cheap birthday event. I asked the father "
Wie geht's?" and "Wie war Frühstück?". To paraphrase Steven Wright: "It's a small bridge, but I wouldn't want to paint it.") 
 
**(I don't get it. They have this spelled correctly on the menu avec un accent aigu, yet they have the name of the place with the redundantly named The Bistro "Restaurant" name. Just doesn't make any sense to me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment