Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hamburger Haven

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a breakfast today."



Phone: (415) 387-3260

(No official website)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBbXKsKXyNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBgVJMuSh-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4YSF-mB3dQ

(The reason for these EweToob cover song links ~ well, the first one should be self-evident, Richie ~ the other two were just included as while I was eating breakfast the restaurant's stereo had a local radio station on and it was the Beatles hour this morning.)


While having my car's annual brake inspection this morning, I had time to kill and decided to have breakfast at Hamburger Haven (other than my stalwarts Eats and Q, there really aren't many other choices within walking distance in the neighborhood, and I had just eaten at both of those places as recently as last month). Hamburger Haven is a long-time (Since 1968, or so the sign states) local diner/burger joint on Clement Street (on the corner of 9th Avenue). I have eaten there for lunch a few times in the past (they have Gardenburger® on the menu), but this was the first time I ate breakfast there.

They have mostly standard diner-esque breakfast offerings. I went with their most interesting egg dish: Avocado[1] Jack Cheese Omelet ~ (I will let you determine exactly what the ingredients were); served with hash browns or country potatoes and choice of toast. I also had a cuppa the house coffee, which is Farmer Brothers.




This was a decent enough omelette (well, better than any I usually attempt and ruin), nothing overly special, though. It did have half an avocado in it, which is a big plus. I went with hashbrowns and whole wheat toast; I always like a place that offers two choices in breakfastary ground apple choices, another plus.

Their coffee was just your typical diner stuff, because of which, after breakfast (at the recommendation of the manager guy at Midas®), I went to a place just a few blocks away on California in a little corner organic grocery store, Village Market. I was very pleased to see that they serve Blue Bottle Coffee Co. coffee, which is probably one of the best coffees available in San Francisco and is made in the drip-method as a fresh cup per customer. Today's blend/roast was Three Africans (because just two Africans are never enough).

Hamburger Haven's condimentary supplementation was pretty typical of most diners in San Francisco, just Tabasco® (the standard red) and Tapatío®. I used some of my own Big Papi En Fuego Hot Sauce Original Mild (Thanks, Kerry!) on the omelette and some Sylvia's Restaurant® Kickin' Hot Hot Sauce on the potatoes (Thanks, Sean!).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Avocado Jack Cheese Omelet ~ 5.8; Blue Bottle Coffee Co. Three Africans ~ 7.2



[1] After reading through this 'blog-entry, it seemed kinda bland, so I am including a stupid, useless cunning linguist/agricultural pointer of the day:

The word
avocado comes from the Spanish "aguacate" which in turn comes from the Nahuatl word "ahuácatl" (meaning "testicle", a reference to the shape of the fruit ~ I can't make up this stuff).
Avocados were known by the Aztecs as "the fertility fruit" (or nuts).

No comments:

Post a Comment