Sunday, February 5, 2012

Max’s™ on the Square

Breakfast on Geary, Part the Second

 

http://www.maxsworld.com/
 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ihRFBMPaic

 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUEQ4nWv7Y&feature=fvst

 

This is the second in my series (I suppose it couldn't very well be called a "series" until the second post, nu?) of breakfasts along Geary Street/Boulevard (see last 'blog-entry from January 15th, 2012). Methodically working my way westward, Mr. Greeley, I ate at Max's on the Square (which would refer to Union Square, I suppose, one block east).
Max's is a mini-chain of upscale New York-style delis in San Francisco; there are several locations throughout San Francisco and within the Bay Area. My server informed me that this particular location will be closing in two weeks ($$$/Lease problems; it comes with the neighborhood); so I'm glad I got to check it out (and check it off my list) now.

Years ago,
Max's used to have stenciled on "side-by-each"[1] entrance doors: "This Is A Good Place For A Diet" and "This Is A Bad Place For A Diet". I think they finally took them down when Oprah was in town one time and between her binges so as not to confuse her.

There are many good items on the breakfast portion of the menu, but I chose the 5 Cheese Omelette ~ Brie, Provolone, Jack, Mozzarella, and Cheddar cheeses, with mushrooms and caramelized onions; served with country potatoes & onions, and a fresh biscuit. I also subsidized it with a cuppa coffee.





This had lots of cheese in the omelette (which was to be expected by the nomenclature), and, I was pleased to see, there was no chintzing[2] on the amount of Brie used, which is nice; for some reason, restaurants like to dole this out as if it's the gold of cheese and it is not usually very well represented. The real surprise(!) of the omelette was the sweetness provided by the caramelized onions. There were plenty of button mushrooms inside, too (maybe too many); they probably should have cut these in half as they were a bit bulky inside.

Max's offers as condimentary supplements (of the hot pepper sauce variety) just Tabasco® (the standard red) and Frank's RedHot®. I had come well-prepared with my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks agains, Amys!) ~ on the potatoes, and Big Papi En Fuego Hot Sauce Monster Double Medium Hot (Thanks, Kerry!) ~ on the omelette. Today I also brought along a new one from Christmas (which to date I have only used on popcorn at home) The Spice House Vulcan's Fire Salt (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!), a little on both the potatoes and omelette (I am not much of a fan of extra salt added to foods after preparation, but this one offers a nice little kick of heat from habanero and tabasco chillies). What
Max's lacks (laxes?) in hot sauces, they more than make up in their mustard offerings. They have Dijon, and several varieties from Beaver Brand®: American Picnic, Deli, Zesty Deli Horseradish Sauce, Sweet Hot, and Cranberry.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/Vulcans-Fire-Salt#content

 
http://beavertonfoods.com/beaver.php

 
By the way,
Max's did not have anything made with tangelos, pomelos, nor tangerines on their menu; and I didn't bother to ask what their corporate stance on Marriage Equality is.

Next up on Geary: Pinecrest Restaurant.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: 5 Cheese Omelette ~ 6.4


[1] Not really a stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer, but if you are from Woon-soquette and hang out on Social Coin eating popcorn, you will get the reference.

 
[2] Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

 
I know this is a New York-style deli, and "chintz" sounds like it is some kinda Yiddish word; however, "chintz" actually comes from Hindi "chint", from Sanskrit "chitra", meaning "gaily-coloured, or clear/bright". The meaning of "chintz" in terms of textiles/fabrics is glazed calico cloth printed with flowers and other patterns in different colours.

 
I don't know what the Sanskrit word for "tortoiseshell-and-white cat" is, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment