Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dottie’s True blue café


"What a difference a breakfast makes…"






(Just a little Sunday morning jazz with breakfast, Ladies.)


As it is another holiday weekend, I figured special measures needed to be taken, so I "did the needful"[1] and went back to Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from April 1st, 2012) once again this morning for a specially measured holiday weekend breakfast. Parking in this neighborhood early on a Sunday morning is pretty easy, it's just a bit iffy wherever you park. Dottie's rooftop deck is still not open yet (well, seeing as it's on the roof and in the open air, technically it is always "open"; they just haven't seen fit to open it to the public for dining yet). I also found out this morning that their bakery is located downstairs/in the basement of the building; I didn't ask for a tour, but I can only assume it's much more spacious than the cramped kitchen/bakery at their old location.

Here is some exciting news:
Dottie's is now open for business at a second location in Scottsdale, AZ, so anyone traveling that-a-way, stop on by for a great breakfastary experience (well, it's operated by Kurt's brother, so I can only hope the culinary expertise runs in the family). I know it's a bit of a journey from Tucson to Scottsdale, but those of you living in the Tucson area (I will not name any names, Karl) should really try to get up there for a weekend breakfast or lunch.

As always, there was some great old Jazz/Blues music playing on the house stereo while I was there (well, I suppose they play the same music if I am there or not, I just can't confirm this). I was glad to see that they brought this old picture over with them from their Jones Street location:




Now, I understand the Billie and Sarah pictures (Billie Crystal is from New York City where lots of great jazz singers came from, and Sarah Palin can really belt out them Alaska Blues), but I wouldn't really categorize Dinah Shore as a "Great Lady of Jazz"… maybe she finally embraced her African-American heritage.

I am happy to see that the Specials Board once again had the most excellent Zucchini Cakes on it this week. I pushed them on some stupid, unsuspecting touristas (well, they were leaning towards that choice, anyway, I just tipped them over completely). I probably would have had this great dish again if I hadn't had it the last time I was there, and my breakfast yesterday morning was very similar with the poached eggs and green squash thingy (which I hear was the original title of that classic children's book by Theodore Geisel, Cassy).

I opted for another one off the Specials Board: Avocado, Tomato, Corn, Jalapeño, Scallion, & Feta Frittata; served with toast and (home-fried) potatoes. I subsidized this with a large glass of grapefruit juice and a cuppa good commando-style[2] coffee.





Now, I don't know what's not to like in this one: avocado ~ good; corn ~ good; Feta ~ good; and I am happy to announce that these were all in large amounts… because everything counts (in larger amounts), Mr. Gahan. Lots of fresh ingredients is always a good thing.

I didn't sit at the counter (with a stage front seat) this morning and I was a little disappointed to find that the salt and pepper shakers on most of the regular tables are just plain ol' salt and pepper shakers, nothing quirky or kitschy like they used to have at the old place on all the tables.

As I have stated many times in the past, Dottie's offers a pretty decent selection of condimentary supplements: three types of Tabasco® (standard red, green Jalapeño, and Chipotle); Tapatío®; and Frank's® Red Hot® Chile 'n Lime. This might not seem like a such big deal, but most places will just have one or two choices, and not usually three different flavours of one brand plus a few other brands. I used some of the Chipotle (Thanks, Kurt!) on the potatoes , and just a little of the Frank's® (Thanks again, Kurt!) on the frittata to give it just a little more perk.


Glen Bacon Scale RatingATCJS&F Frittata Special ~ 7.4


[1] Not really a stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, more of a confusing English-Hindi translational thingy:

Like a lot of 'merican businesses today, the company that I work for has outsourced most of their accounting functions and some of its customer service functions to India. We generally communicate with them back and forth via electronic messages (colloquially known as "e-mails" by those of  us in the know). There is one particular phrasing that those in India use when replying back to us and requesting something to be done on our end: “"Please do the needful".

I am not sure where they learned this particular wording. Technically, I suppose it can be considered correct English, but it looks very strange in print. We all just assume they mean "Please do what is necessary to get this done". It's just a pretty humourous way of stating it.

[2] That would be a "bottomless" cuppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment