Sunday, June 17, 2012

Brenda’s ~ French Soul Food


Do you think that Oedipus is a wreck on Father’s Day?




(I can only assume that the rainbow flag on the building is the State flag of Louisiana or maybe the City banner of New Orleans. Gee, there really must be an awful lot of Cajun and Creole restaurants in the Castro District.)
 


(Sure I could have gone with the more conventional Harry Chapin classic "Cat's Cradle", but that one is too ubiquitously played… and you hear it everywhere, Mr. Shawn Kemp, Sr.)


How do you say "serendipity" in French or Cajun?[1]

I was not really planning on having French toast again for breakfast this morning, as I just had some yesterday and earlier in the week on my birthday at Dottie's True blue café (Are you happy now, Mrs. Huneycutt, I went an entire weekend without having an omelette or main egg dish of some sort?); however, I went back to 
Brenda's ~ French Soul Food after a long delay (see last 'blog-entry from October 9th, 2011) and as I had just mentioned Bananas Foster[2] French Toast in yesterday's 'blog-entry the three chefs of Serendip must have heard me, as this was the weekend sweet entry on their Specials (an actual chalk)board.

This was my first trip back to Brenda's since they had opened up the other room next door for dining (I think they have had it open since late October-early November now). The "new" space more than doubles the capacity allowed; it is a little bit wider and there are many more tables than in the original space. Even though, there is still a bit of a wait to get in if you don't get there as soon as they open (I was there at 7:50am before they had opened yet and was third in line).

I really didn't want to order French toast again, but Brenda's doesn't have that many items on their "Brunch" menu (they call it "Brunch", but it’s really breakfast at 8:00am in the morning) for stupid vegetarians. So I went with the sweet offering off the Specials board: Bananas Foster French Toast ~ with warm butter rum sauce and whipped cream. I also had a side of hash potatoes (which really are more of a homefries chunky type, not the shredded hashbrowns version) and a cuppa mighty fine Community Coffee (N'Orleans-style with roasted chicory). I really need to try their Sweet Watermelon House Tea one of these days.




This was very good and I will order it again (just not if I have already had French toast twice in the same week) if it is available (I spoke with someone there and he told me this shows up often on their Specials board). It was a lot of food with three entire slices of French toast; however, I still think that the Merchants Way version was better (from memory, everything always tastes better). I probably would have made it with thinner slices of bananas not whole chunks; and if I ever did cook (and could figure out how to make that tasty Butter Rum sauce), I would do just that. I did discover an extra added taste treat by taking some of their homemade strawberry preserves and using it on a few of the slices. (There is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that I will ever attempt to make my own homemade preserves, so Brenda's has got me there.)

Brenda's has just Crystal® Hot Sauce for condimentary supplements; at least it's an original Loosianna brand. So I simply used some of my own Youk's Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the hash potatoes.


Glen Bacon Scale RatingBananas Foster French Toast ~ 7.4 (with their homemade strawberry preserves ~ 7.5)


[1] You shouldn't have asked.

 
Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

 
The word for "serendipity" in French is "sérendipité". 

 
For a change, they actually stole a word from English (which was in turn formed from a Persian fairy tale place name). I have mentioned this word origin before here in the past and am too lazy to write out the whole stupid story again. Besides, what is Wikipedia for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serendipity


I have no idea what "serendipity" would be in Cajun, though. There is no Google Translate for that dialect.

[2] If you were wondering just who the heck is this "Foster" guy is and why does he rate a dessert named for him, here is the answer from our good friends at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananas_Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment