Saturday, June 9, 2012

La Cucina of Union Street



(No official website)

2136 Union Street

Phonicular contact: (415) 921-4500




(Union Street… Union City… it's close enough for Government work.)


It had been a while since I last ate at La Cucina of Union Street[1] (see 'blog-entry from August 28th, 2011); I was planning on going there last weekend, but that was when the annual Union Street Fair was scheduled and it's hard enough to find a parking spot on normal weekends in that neighborhood, so I waited until this morning. The backyard patio deck was not open yet this morning, but it was nice enough to sit outside at one of the sidewalk tables; I didn't, but I could have. La Cucina is a very family-friendly place; they have kids books and crayons for the little 'uns (neither of which were offered to me, I might add). That is my Zio Luigi wearing my Hollywood Stars[2] baseball cap in the above photo.

I ordered off the "Breakfast Specials" portion of their printed menu (see also: "Breakfast Classic" menu); they have many nice choices from which to choose. There were a few items that I was leaning towards, the Italian Omelette and Oscar Omelette (both of which I would have gotten senza la carne morta porco in decomposizione). Plus the kids at the table next to mine went completely off-menu and got "Mickey Mouse Pancakes"… I feel a little ripped-off again.






Here's where it would pay to re-read my old 'blog entries before going back to a place, as I ordered the same thing I did the last time I was there: California Omelette ~ Avocado, artichoke, Jack cheese, onion, and tomato; served with cottage fries. I also had a large glass of orange juice. (Yeah, I know what you're thinking: "But, Brian, no coffee with your breakfastary repast?" Well, I waited until I got home and actually made a pretty decent cuppa Bettys Christmas Coffee and am enjoying it while typing this out.)




Even though I had the same dish last time I was there, it was still a mighty fine choice. This was made with lots of artichoke hearts, Stymie; and they were the brine-marinated, not oil-marinated, type ~ this really does make a difference in the flavour and texture of the omelette; however, I do like the oil-marinated ones in salads or just as a side snack right outta the jar. The cottage fries are basically a cross between hashbrowns and home fries; sliced/shredded potatoes with some secret Italian herbs and spices ~ all very nicely crispy and tasty.

La Cucina offers as condimentary supplementation solo Tapatío® on the tables (I think they also have Tabasco®, or did the last time I was there). I used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks agains, Amys!) on the potatoes and some Mango Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy!) on the omelette.

Wild Parrots of San Francisco Update

While driving back home through the Presidio, I first heard then saw about 5-6 of my fine-feathered friends flying overhead (near the Lombard Gate).


Glen Bacon Scale RatingCalifornia Omelette ~ 6.5


[1] If they were located on Lombard Street, I am sure they would change the name accordingly.

 
[2] The Hollywood Stars were a professional Baseball team that played in the old Pacific Coast League from 1926-1957 (give or take a few years off). 

 
My cap is a replication of their 1940 insignia, made by a company called Blue Marlin®; I have had this particular cap for about 15 years now. Blue Marlin® is a good source of vintage-style sportswear; I have a few other hats of theirs, too: Mission Reds, 1929 (San Francisco, Pacific Coast League) and
Memphis Red Sox, 1937 (Negro Baseball League).

http://www.bluemarlinclothing.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment