Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dottie’s True blue café


Sacré Bleu[1]

 
"I always feel like a traveler, going somewhere, toward some destination. If I sense that this destination doesn't in fact exist, that seems to me quite reasonable and very likely true." ~ Vincent Van Gogh; July 22, 1888





http://dotties.biz/



 

(Nuf ced, McGreevey?!)


I don't normally need an excuse to go to Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from May 27th, 2012) ~ (as I have stated many times in the past, it's not only one of my favourite breakfast places in San Francisco, it's one of my favourites in the World), but when it is in the middle of the week, I do like to fabricate one: so let's just call this "Flag Day Eve", and, you can be sure, I will celebrate it every year.

I checked out their Weekday Specials board as soon as I walked in; this is mostly the same as their Weekend Specials Board with maybe a few less items from which to choose. They had the exact same Frittata that I had two weeks ago (which is one of my favourites, so it can always be an option) and Raspberry Rice Flour Pancakes that looked tempting, too. However, the Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip French Toast with toasted pecans and pure Maple Syrup (because that slutty sticky stuff just don't cut it as a morning topping) looked too interesting to pass up. I also had a large glass of grapefruit juice and a side of home fries. (Which they have as two words on their menu. Glückwünsche, der Führ-Gates; you have conquered another land!)







I was trying to figure out how they were going to make this version of French toast; did they make the egg-batter with some canned pumpkin in the mixture and use it on regular bread and add chocolate chips on top? Mystery solved: these were simply (well, in theory, not in its genius sublimity) made from egg-battered (which beats spousal-abused) slices (four pieces) of Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip bread. It was all very good, too.

Sure, a side order of potatoes along with a bready breakfast may seem strange, but I can never get enough carbohydrates. Did you know that a potato provides almost as much Vitamin C as an orange of the same size? Somehow, I really doubt that "potato juice" will catch on as a breakfastary drink... unless you happen to live in Russia.

Dottie's has a good selection of condimentary supplementation (see "the Usual Suspects" photo at top of this 'blog-entry, but notice the complete lack of any vwg); I used a little Tabasco® Chipotle on the potatoes (Thanks, Kurt!).

I suppose, in keeping with my "bluish" theme, maybe I shoulda had for breakfast the Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes (off the standard printed menu) or the Bacon, Tomato, Scallion, & Bleu Cheese Scramble (off the Specials Board; sans the dead, decaying pig-flesh, of course, Glen).


Glen Bacon Scale RatingPumpkin-Chocolate Chip French Toast ~ 7.2


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

"Sacré bleu" is simply French for "sacred blue".

It just so happens that I was given a novel of the same name, written by Christopher Moore, for my birthday this year (Merci beaucoup, Cin
dy!) and just started reading it this morning.

For more information of the Frenchy curse-word, see the information "borrowed" from our friends at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacr%C3%A9_blue

No comments:

Post a Comment