Sunday, June 3, 2012

Plow







(I think Linda Ronstadt had it right, Mr. Plow is a loser and a boozer; Ian Anderson was a bit of one, too.)


Congratulations, Lizzie, on 60 successful years! 


(So what if it's Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee, this happens to be my 250th 'blog-entry; now that really is an amazing feat.)


I had breakfast this morning at Plow on Potrero Hill, on the corner of 18th and Texas Streets. It is always nice to see a semi-posh place that opens early (in this case 8:00am) for Sunday "Brunch". For such a small neighborhood, this part of 18th Street has several restaurants all within just 3-4 blocks: Hazel's Kitchen (breakfast and lunch);  Farley's (coffeehouse); Chez Papa Bistrot (sic) (lunch and dinner); Café Chez Maman ("Brunch", lunch, and dinner); Pera (lunch and dinner); Rocketfish (lunch and dinner); Goat Hill Pizza (lunch and dinner); Aperto ("Brunch", lunch, and dinner); and Sunflower (lunch and dinner).

Plow's "Brunch" menu really isn't all that extensive, but you would never know that from the line of people waiting to get in this morning before it had even opened. I was thinking about getting the farro salad (grilled summer squash + spring onions, shaved fennel, arugula, parmesan, fava bean, toasts) and a side of crispy potatoes, as someone recently commented to me that my cholesterol level must be very high as I usually have egg dishes on the weekends (not really, though, as my normal weekly cholesterol intake would only be from eggs on the weekends or cheese during the week ~ one of the perks of being a vegetarian, not so much cholesterol unless you are eating the dead, decaying animals). Even so, I decided on the less cholesterol-laden lemon ricotta[1] pancakes ~ with pure Vermont maple syrup, and a cholesterol-free side order of crispy potatoes (because you can never get enough carbohydrates). I also had a cuppa Equator coffee (but I didn't ask which blend, and, hopefully, it contained no cholesterol, too).




These were three medium-sized, thick pancakes; they were very good. The ricotta (yes, I know that is also a source of cholesterol, Mrs. Huneycutt) makes these very moist, if not a bit heavy. I had a thought that some fresh chopped basil would have been a nice addition in these even; not that they needed any extra flavour, but a savory-sweet pancake just sounded nice. Not that I could really tell "pure Vermont maple syrup" from the fake stuff, but it's nice when they have it and don't charge extra for it (you'd be surprised how many places do). The crispy potatoes were very good; fried and then roasted with large slices of onions; they almost seemed as if they were lightly battered (they weren't, as I had asked and was told how they were prepared).

Plow has as a condimentary supplement solely Youk's Hot Sauce; now, this was a nice surprise, as I have only ever had it at Kevin Youkilis' brother's restaurant, Maverick (see 'blog-entry from July 24th, 2011). I didn't use any while there, but I did buy a bottle to take home (it's not as if I really need yet still another hot sauce, but this is also a collector's item for any Boston Red Sox fan; plus, I have already tried all of Big Papi's hot sauces, so it only seemed fair). I did use a little HP Guinness® (Thanks, Cindy!), which is brand new (as in I just got it yesterday in a really cool swag/C.A.R.E. package) to my collection of sauces, on the potatoes.




 
Glen Bacon Scale Ratinglemon ricotta pancakes ~ 7.0


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, numero uno:

"Ricotta" simply means "recooked" in Italian, which comes from Latin "recocta", feminine of "recoctus", past participle of "recoquere" meaning "to recook".

No comments:

Post a Comment