Saturday, December 1, 2012

Quintal’s Crack O’ Dawn

Wareham, MA (Thursday, 11/29/12)



(No official web-site.)

2605 Cranberry Highway (Route 28)
Wareham, MA  02571


Phonicular contact: (508) 273-0008






(I am pretty sure that I have used this EweToob link previously ~ probably just last Summer when I last visited Wareham, but you try and find a good Cape Cod-y song or even a Wareham-referencing one.)


I found myself back in Massachusetts earlier this week on family business (it seems that some guy that my mother slept with for the past 58 years up and died) and found time to have breakfast with some of my remaining family before returning home. We again ate at Quintal's Crack O' Dawn (see past 'blog-entry from July 22nd, 2010) in my mother's hometown of Wareham (the Gateway to Cape Cod and home of the 2012 Cape Cod Baseball League Champions Wareham Gatemen).

http://www.gatemen.org/


http://capecodbaseball.org/


Crack O' Dawn is a pretty decent little diner place along the Cranberry Highway, and one of the better breakfast places from which to choose in Wareham. There really are a dearth of breakfastary joints in this town, anyway. I have eaten there a few times in the past and usually order off of the "Power Breakfasts" portion of the menu, which offers some very good and varied choices.





There were six of us today, but only my brother Sean ordered off that portion of the menu and got the Country Breakfast ~ 2 eggs, biscuit & gravy, sausage, bacon, or ham, homefries (which they had as one word on the menu), or grits. My sister Sharon ordered the Georgia Toast ~ peaches & pecans w/wheat. My brother Kerry had a cheese and mushroom omelette; all omelettes are served w/toast & home fries (which was now two words here on the menu) or grits. My nephew Cam simply had two pancakes, bacon, and homefries (I prefer the one-word spelling, Aaron); he may also have had some eggs of some kind, but I didn't really pay much attention to what he ordered or ate (he can start his own damn 'blogs if he wants to write about his breakfasts). My mother ordered just a plain ol' biscuit (she was paying, so we really couldn’t complain about what little she ordered). I had the Denver Omelette, but substituted Swiss cheese for the dead decaying, porcine butt bits.





I ordered my meal with homefries and chose the marble rye for my toasty side (I was very happy to see that it wasn't the last two slices available and no "old bag"-calling or loaf-filching was necessary, Mr. Schnitzer). This was a decent enough omelette. I liked their homefries a lot, but some of the others at the table thought they were a bit too salty.

Sean sat across from me and gave me the best input of his meal (read: I really couldn't be bothered with everyone else's meal details); he chose the bacon and homefries sides; and he seemed to enjoy it all well enough to clean his plate. Kerry's omelette looked cheesy and mushroomy enough (after an initial mishap of our waitress/server lady bringing him a ham and cheese omelette by mistake ~ Kerry is one of those whinging people that are pretty picky about what types of meat they will eat and he doesn't partake of the dead, decaying pork-flesh; what a wimp); I think he got the grits as a side, but I don't remember what kinda toast he ordered. Sharon's French toast was French toast with peaches and pecans on top, just like it sounded and you would expect; she passed up the offer of whipped cream on top ~ big mistake in my opinion. Cam's pancakes were huge ~ about the size of a large plate each ~ and he really only ate about 1-½ of them; I ended up finishing off his homefries, even. My mother ate all of one-half of a biscuit with butter and jam.

Crack O' Dawn only offers as condimentary supplementation Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red) and Frank's® RedHot Original. I judiciously used some of the Frank's® on both my homefries and on the omelette.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Denver Omelette ~ 6.0; Country Breakfast ~ 6.3 (per Sean; he is fully aware of the GBS and can be trusted with this rating); Georgia Toast ~ 7.3 (per Sharon; I really didn't have time to go into the intricacies of the GBS with her and we will just have to take her word for it; she is a woman, after all, and, as such, is prone to major exaggeration)

(I didn't query any of the others at the table for their intake, but who really cares what they think, anyway?)

No comments:

Post a Comment