Thursday, June 13, 2013

the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House

Happy Popovers(!) Day to me!




http://www.cliffhouse.com/bistro/index.html







To celebrate another year of existence, I went back to the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from April 28th, 2013) for breakfast this morning. They (and they will be referred to simply as the Bistro from here on for brevity purposes) open up at 9:00am during the week for breakfast. This morning was a great sunny day along the coast. From my window table, I could see that there were several surfers off Ocean Beach, but no dolphins or porpoises were spotted (or bottle-nosed, even).

Today's Hollywoodland Wall of Autographed Photos Interlude:




(Picture 1, top to bottom and left to right)

Howard Michael Mandel (Television game show host and some other stuff); Leif Erickson (born William Y. Wycliffe Anderson; leading man in 1930's Westerns and other films; once married to Frances Farmer)

???; Myrna Loy (born Myrna Adele Williams; "The Thin Man" series with William Powell, as well as many other films)





(Picture 2, same directions)

Glenda Farrell ("Little Caesar"; "Gold Diggers of 1937"; etc.); ???

Noah Beery, Sr. (silent and talkie film star; brother of Academy Award-winning actor Wallace Beery and father of Noah Beery, Jr. ~ of "The Rockford Files" fame himself); Martha Raye (born Margy Reed; comic actress/film and TeeVee star)




(Picture 3, ditto)

??? (I know I should know her); Kevin Costner ("The Untouchables"; "Dances With Wolves"; "JFK"; and, of course, "Crash Davis" in "Bull Durham")

???; Ginger Rogers (born Virginia Katherine McMath; Fred Astaire's dancing foible in many musicals; Academy Award for Best Actress in "Kitty Foyle")

Alice Faye (born Alice Jeanne Leppert; actress and singer; once married to Phil Harris ~ "Baloo" in "The Jungle Book"); Johnny Weissmuller (born Peter Johann Weissmüller; five time Olympic Gold Medalist; and "Tarzan" in several films)

Once again, if anyone can fill in any of the "???s" with the correct names, I will treat them to all the free (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) that they can eat (my treat).

There really are only a few items on the Bistro's breakfast menu that I can eat, so I once again just had the Farmer's Breakfast Scramble ~ Scrambled Eggs, Ham, Potatoes, Green Onions, Cheddar Cheese. I also had a glass of orange juice. And the main reason I keep going back over the years: a basket of (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!), 3 each today.

I skipped any coffee there as I had a cuppa Bettys Jamaica Blue Mountain beforehand, which I had just received in a C.A.R.E. package (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) yesterday. This is not only the best coffee that I have ever had (Sorry, Gretchen, Bettys Nepal Snow River is good, but it just can't hold a candle to the Jamaica Blue Mountain.), but at £12.00 per 100g (that works out to be about $81.00 per pound 'merican), it's also the most expensive coffee I have ever had. This stuff is so flavourful and naturally sweet, that even if you are stupid enough to normally ruin a perfectly good coffee by adding sugar, you don't have to (add any sugar, that is; you are more than welcome to be stupid all you like).

http://www.bettys.co.uk/product/Jamaica-Blue-Mountain,19028,5.aspx






I ordered the scramble without the ham, and my server-guy, Chris, offered to substitute another ingredient in place of the dead, decaying porky product. I didn't feel it necessary as the rest of the junk in it was sufficient for me. I do have one minor complaint, though. They state right on the menu: "All Egg Entrees Served with Fresh Fruit and Roasted Potatoes". However, they actually forgot my side of potatoes this morning. I think they also did that the last time I ordered this same dish; someone must assume people wouldn't like a side of potatoes when the scramble already includes potatoes in it. Well, they assumed wrong. That does it. I am never going back there again… well, until the next time. Of course, none of that really mattered, as there was still more than enough food to finish, especially with the (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!), 3 each.

The Fresh Fruit of the day was: grapes, strawberry (singular, as there was really just one large one), watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon.[1]

The Bistro only has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce for condimentary supplementation. So I used some of my own Cholula® Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) and the new Hula Girl Chipotle Habanero (Thanks, Jim!) on the scramble (I portioned this out as Little Orphan Annie's dog, Sandy, would have done: "'arf-n-'arf").


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Farmer's Breakfast Scramble ~ 6.5; (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) ~ 8.2; Bettys Jamaica Blue Mountain ~ 8.5


1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

Just 'cause I feel like it, here are all of the same fruits in Russkij:


"Bиноград" (pronounced "vinograd"), "клубника" (pronounced "kloobnika"), "арбуз" (pronounced "arbooz"), "канталупа" (pronounced "cantaloopa"), and "мускатная дыня" (pronounced "mooskatnaya deenya").

No comments:

Post a Comment