Sunday, July 28, 2013

Chloe♥s Cafe


"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." 
~ Marcus Aurelius


  
(No official web-site.)

1399 Church Street (at 26th Street)

phonicular contact: (415) 648-4116





(R.I.P. John Weldon "J.J." Cale; December 5, 1938 - July 26, 2013.

J.J. Cale was truly a legend in the Blues and Rock-and/or-Roll field. Unfortunately most people mistakenly know him as "that guy that stole those two songs ~ 'Cocaine' and 'After Midnight' ~ from Eric Clapton". Here's another fact for those idiots, Bob Marley didn't steal "I Shot the Sheriff" from Eric, or Omar even.

This particular EweToob link was the first song on his first studio album. I always loved the album cover and wondered where Mr. Raccoon was going. And why did he see fit to need a top hat and cane, but no gloves?)


It had been a while since I last ate there, so I went back to Chloe
s Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from December 9th, 2012). It is still located in way outer Noe Valley. This really is a tiny place; there are only eight tables for two people and one table for four inside. They also have four to five additional tables on the sidewalk for four people each, "whether" permitting; today it was a bit questionable, but I saw a few hardy souls opting for the outdoor seating.

After a perfunctory glance at their standard printed menu, I ordered from the chalkboard weekend Special: "Fresh Herb Scramble" ~ two scrambled eggs (that would be the "Scramble" part of the name, I suppose) with basil, dill, cilantro (those are the "Fresh" part of the name; I never figured out who this "Herbert" guy was, though), tomato, mushroom, and a choice of cheese (Jarlsberg, Cheddar, Cream Cheese, or Feta); served w/ home fries or a cup of fresh fruit, and a choice of toast (my choice was White Rosemary, as usual). I completed the meal with a cuppa coffee.
 




I went with the Jarlsberg(er) cheese as my fermented milk comestible choice, Mr. Wensleydale. Now when given a choice of Jarlsberg (which you don't see that many places), Cheddar, Cream Cheese, or Feta, who would choose Cream Cheese? That is not a breakfast choice unless you are from Philadelphia. I would probably have gone with Feta normally (and it would have paired best with the "Fresh" ingredients), but I just had that in yesterday's omelette. There was a predominance of basil in this, which is always good. I am sure the dill added a bit of flavour, but let's not get in that pickle. Of course, I had the homefries; potatoes are always better than any stupid fresh fruit cup (even I can cut up fruit and put it in a cup). They always have good homefries; these are reminiscent of the old Café Sanchez (which used to be just two block away). For some odd reason this came with three halves of toast; I noticed that they didn't do the same when someone ordered a bagel instead, though.

Chloe
s offers both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red) and Tapatío® for condimentary supplements. However, I had brought some of my own hot sauces and liberally used some Youk's Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the potatoes and just five to six drops of Big Papi En Fuego Hot Sauce Off The Wall Triple Hot (Thanks, Kerry!) on the scramble (I don't agree with MLB and haven't suspended Big Papi from my breakfastary condimentation).

All in all, that "naughty Herbert" guy makes a pretty decent scramble.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: "Fresh Herb Scramble" ~ 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment