Saturday, July 20, 2013

Rosamunde Sausage Grill

Conquered by waterfowl?[1]



http://rosamundesausagegrill.com/




(The first EweToob video will become apparent after reading through today's 'blog-entry. The second video was mainly because they were playing old 80's junk the entire time I was eating breakfast this morning. To me, the 80's always reminds me of Germany, anyway.)


For a change of pace, I had breakfast at Rosamunde[2] Sausage Grill (the one on Mission Street near 24th Street). They are only open for "Brunch" starting at 10:00am on the weekends. The seating is mainly at one of several long wooden tables/benches (Bierhalle-style); plus, there are five sidewalk/patio tables that seat four each. You first order and pay at the bar and then pick it up at the kitchen window when your number is called (they also have a lighted number system for you to be able to see it from across the restaurant when it is crowded and noisy in the evenings; I have eaten here on a Friday night before and know it is comes in very handy). Rosamunde has an awesome selection of Beers from which to choose, too.






Rosamunde only offers six breakfastary (well, "Brunch"-ary) choices, and the only ones that are available to stupid vegetarians (and Vegans alike) were: Grilled Sausage Breakfast ~ choice of grilled sausage, cheesy egg bake, roasted potatoes & toast; Breakfast Burrito; and Waffle ~ with fresh fruit, granola, dark ale syrup. I went with the Grilled Sausage Breakfast as this was my main reason for eating there this morning (I can get burritos and waffles just about anywhere else). I also ordered a cuppa Four Barrel Coffee und ein Bier ~ Ommegang BPA (which is a Belgian Pale Ale, hence the "BPA").

http://fourbarrelcoffee.com/


http://www.ommegang.com/#!beer_bpa





Rosamunde offers three different types of Vegan/vegetarian sausages (made from 100% Vegan pigs I was assured). These are probably some of the better and freshest Vegan/vegetarian sausages you can get in San Francisco. I chose the Vegan Apple-Sage sausage. Don't worry, for you dead, decaying animal flesh partakers, they also offer several of "those kind" of sausages, too, particularly of note: Knockwurst (all beef); Nuernberger Bratwurst (savory pork); Hungarian (smoked pork); Weisswurst (veal, onion, & leek); Fresh Lamb (fennel & sun-dried tomato); Wild Boar (apple & spice); along with several others.

The "egg bake" thing was basically scrambled eggs with zucchini, red peppers, and I guess some kinda cheese (I really couldn't tell which type, though ~ probably Cheddar). The toast was three slices of sourdough baguette. They have very good homefries with lots of grilled onions in them. All of this wasn't the largest of portions, but it was sufficient enough for my appetite. If I had the time (I had found a legal, free parking spot just two blocks away that was only good for an hour on Saturdays), I probably would have gone up the block to Mission Pie and gotten a slice of whatever was seasonally available to fill me up.

I know that this is not exactly ein typisches deutsches Frühstück, but sausages deserve to be served mit einem Bier (Na, und?!) no matter what time of day they are eaten (besides, I am sure it was after Noon somewhere). They have several Beers vom Fass that I have never had before so I wanted to choose a decent German or Belgian Beer to complement the meal. So I turned to the knowledgeable bartender-lady and she suggested that the Ommegang sounded like it might do the trick.

Me: "Is that from an actual Belgian brewery?"
(Apparently not as knowledgeable as I had figured) Bartender-lady: "I think it's a German brewery."

Well, it turns out that it is actually from a Cooperstown, NY brewery. Macht nicht! (or Ce n’est pas grave.) It turned out to be a very good Belgian-style Ale, anyway.

For bottled condimentary supplementation, Rosamunde only has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red).  I used some of my own Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce ~ XX Habanero (Thanks agains, Amys and Brian!) on half of the potatoes and some Serious Food… Silly Prices Chunky Habanero (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the egg bake thingy. Seeing as this is a Wursthaus, they have a pretty decent selection of homemade ketchups (2), mustards (3), and mayonnaise (1) to use with the sausages. So I used some of their Curryketchup on the other half of the potatoes.





Come for the sausages… stay for the Beer!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: das komplette Früuhstück ~ 6.8; nur Vegan Apfelwurst ~ 7.2; Ommegang BPA ~ 7.0


1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, numër një:

I wasn't quite sure what "Rosamunde" meant, I assumed it was either of Italian or Spanish origin, so I did a quick check with Google Translate and the first thing that popped up was that "rosa munde" in Albanian means "ducks overcome".

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, Nummer zwei:

Figuring it wasn't really of Albanian origin, Mr. Belushi, I did a little more digging and came up with this information (which seemed to make much more sense).

"Rosa Mund" in German means "pink (or  rose/red) mouth (lips)".

A) There was an 1823 Austrian play called "Rosamunde, Fürstin von Zypern (Rosamunde, Princess of Cyprus)". The music was composed by Franz Schubert.
B) "Rosamunde" is the German name for "Beer Barrel Polka (Roll Out the Barrel)".

Additional stupid, useless cunning linguist pointers for "pink mouth":

"Goja rozë" ~ Albanian
"Rose munden" ~ Danish
"Roze mond" ~ Dutch
"Bouche rose" ~ French

"Bocca rosa" ~ Italian
"Rozā mute" ~ Latvian
"Rosa munn" ~ Norwegian
"Boca rosada" ~ Spanish
"Rosa mun" ~ Swedish

I have no idea what they call Conjunctivitis in German, though.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on my next Friday Period Piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would that be from the "Rosamunde/Beer Barrel Polka" reference, the bratwurstchen, or the Albanian ducks?

      Delete