Saturday, October 11, 2014

Baker Street Bistro

"Find where your main roots lie and do not hanker for other worlds."  
~ Hank Davey Thoreau 



http://www.bakerstreetbistro.com/


Place: Baker Street Bistro
Location: 2953 Baker Street (at Lombard Street) 
Hours:  open at 9:00am for "Brunch" on Saturday & Sunday
Meal: Pain Perdu (A brunch favorite!) ~ French Toast, fresh fruit, strawberry coulis & crème fraîche; and a side of homefries





(There really is no juxtaselection between today's EweToobular songs and "Baker", "Street", "Bistro", or "Pain Perdu" even.  I just happen to like the whole idea of Playing For ChangeAnd as nice as the music sounds, you really have to watch the entire videos to get the whole effect of "Connecting the World Through Music".

If you enjoyed these songs, I really suggest checking out more of their videos and their official web-site.)

http://playingforchange.com/


Continuing on with the Fall Classic workout of my Breakfastary Rotation, je suis retourné à Baker Street Bistro (see last 'blog-entry from July 12th, 2014). There is a new outdoor gas heater on the sidewalk patio-café area that looks a bit la Tour Eiffel-ish; this really didn't come into factor with me today as I ate inside for a change.

Unlike my last visit there, I forgot to do a coin-flip to decide between Oeufs Florentine (Spinach, poached eggs, English muffin, Hollandaise sauce ~ served with homefries & mixed greens), Oeufs Baker Street Bistro (Dave's favorite ~ whoever he is ~ Ratatouille, poached eggs, English muffin, tomato sauce ~ also served with homefries & mixed greens), or my actual choice of Pain Perdu. Besides, I left my three-sided coin at home. It really didn't matter, I suppose, as this will probably be my last breakfastary visit to Baker Street Bistro for 2014 and I wanted to finish it with some of San Francisco's (and the World's) Best Pain Perdu, anyway.




What more venerable acclamation can I possibly say about this splendiferous[1] dish? It truly produces a culinary vertiginous sensation. (I liked it a lot.)

Today's selection of fresh fruit[2] included: apples, oranges, pineapple, strawberries, grapes, honeydew melon, and watermelon. I did something different with the mint[3] leaves garnish this morning. Seeing as I didn't order any Coffee this morning to drop them into (like I normally would), I decided to chiffonade them a bit and just add them to all of the fruit. This turned out to be another nice tasty idea.

For condimentary supplementation, Baker Street Bistro only has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red). I used some of my own Fat Cat® Surprisingly Mild Guajillo Ghost (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the potatoes. (Of course, I would never mess with the perfection of the Pain Perdu by adding any hot sauce to it like I would with normal French toast.)

the Wild Parrots[4] of San Francisco Interlude

After breakfast, I walked over to the little dog park in the Presidio (at the Lombard Street gate) to see if there were any of the squawking pandemonium around. Unfortunately, there were none to be seen, nor heard this morning. (I didn't see any slobbering canine friends there this morning either.)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Pain Perdu ~ 8.2


1. See, Durk? Even der Führer-Gates and his troupe of brown-shirted Spell-check Nazis at Microsoft acknowledge this as a valid word. (Of course, they have absolutely no clue what either "coulis" or "fraîche" are.)

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer(s) of the day, ersten Teil:

In German:

Fruit ~ "Frucht"
Apple ~ "Apfel"
Orange ~ "Orange" (but actually pronounced as "Apfelseen")
Pineapple ~ "Ananas"
Strawberry ~ "Erdbeere"
Grape ~ "Traube"
Honeydew melon ~ "Honigmelone
Watermelon ~ "Wassermelone"

3. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, Teil zwei:

In German:

Mint ~ "Minze"

4. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, dritten Teil:

In German:

Parrot ~ "Papagei"

No comments:

Post a Comment