Sunday, October 5, 2014

Eats


"The service we render to others is really the rent we pay for our room on this earth. It is obvious that man is himself a traveler; that the purpose of this world is not 'to have and to hold', but 'to give and serve'. There can be no other meaning."  
~ Sir Wilfred Grenfell



(No official web-site.)


Place: Eats
Location: 50 Clement Street (on the corner of 2nd Avenue); phonicular contact: (415) 751-8000
Hours:  open every day of the week at 8:00am
Meal: Spinach Tomato Feta[1] Scramble ~ (v) garlic and fresh basil[2] (comes w/ toast ~ multi-grain, sourdough, or rye ~ with a choice of Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes or Mixed Greens); and a large glass of Power "C" (a mixture of fresh-squeezed grapefruit, orange, and pineapple[3] juices)






(The first EweToobular juxtaselection is to commemorate the coming Celtic New Year, also known as Samhain[4]

The last two songs/videos are in honour of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass No. Fourteen. These two performers were just two of the many acts/musicians that I saw over the weekend. And I am so very sorry, but as hard as I tried to locate that latest, greatest hit of Ryan Adams, "Three F*ckin' Balloons (In The Back Of The Park)", I could not find a version of it up on EweToob yet.[5] I am pretty sure that Mr. Adams will include a copy of this ultra-extraordinary song on his very next album.

I am fully aware that there are some readers from Clinton, MA [who shall remain named Mrs. Morin], that felt it was very lame of me [by the way, I much prefer "ambulatorily impaired" or "peregrinationally challenged" over "lame"] that I didn't go out to eat breakfast yesterday morning and write one of these stupid li'l blog-entries, but I was kinda busy all day long yesterday enjoying all of the Free Music and Free Sunshine.)

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2014/


Seeing as both the Fall Baseball Season and the Celtic New Year are among us, it is time for a workout of my Breakfastary Rotation again. I went back to Eats this morning for breakfast (see last 'blog-entry from July 14th, 2014). I actually sat outside for a change at one of the six sidewalk tables for two. It wasn't quite as warm (or hot) as the past few mornings, and it was actually so foggy this morning on the way over there that I really couldn't see more than a block away at a time. (See, Kathleen/Kathy, I was only off on my prediction by about twelve hours. So, I am claiming a delayed 1-for-3 for the day.) It made for a very comfortable dining experience as long as I kept my sweatshirt on.

Having eaten at Eats many times now over the past few years, I have eaten almost every decent breakfast dish they have available for stupid vegetarians. There are just two more left (as long as they don't change the menu, that is, before my next visit) that I need to try one of these days: Vegetarian Egg Sandwich (arugula, Cheddar, tomatoes, spicy aioli, over easy egg, avocado, cornmeal ciabatta, potatoes or salad; for some reason they don't have the designator 
"(v)" like they do for other vegetarian-specific dishes on their menu, I guess it must just be assumed) and Two Tofu Tacos ((v) zucchini, bell peppers, Hungarian peppers, corn, pico de gallo, cabbage slaw, avocado, beans, grilled tortillas, potatoes or salad; they don't mention anything about any tofu being in this dish, but I just guess it is assumed again). I also thought about getting the Caprese Scramble (cherry tomatoes, pesto, fresh Mozzarella, Parmesan) once again; it's pretty good and it seemed like that kind of morning.




I wasn't quite sure what this scramble was going to include in it as the description on the menu really wasn't very descriptive (I also asked the waiter-server guy exactly what was in this scramble, but he was really of no help). To my great surprise, this actually was chock-fulla spinach, tomatoes, and Feta cheese! And there was a decent amount of both sautéed fresh spinach and Feta (which were my deciding factors in getting this this morning, anyway). 

I went with sourdough bread for my toasty choice. 

And of course I went with the Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes for my side choice (once again, even I can "cook" a side salad of mixed greens). There were only two cloves of roasted garlic in with them this morning (but the GBS Rating is never based upon quantity; now, if they had not given me any garlic at all, I may have had to given them a minus rating).

There was a single slice of watermelon[6] as a garnish-thing. While I was grinding some fresh-cracked pepper on the scramble mess and Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes, I decided to also use some of the fresh pepper on the watermelon again. I had done this before by accident and knew it was actually a pretty interesting flavour combination. (Hey! Don't knock it until you have tried it… then knock it.)

For condimentary supplementation, Eats offers the San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red stuff); Tapatío®; and Cholula® Hot Sauce. I had come prepared with a few of my own hot sauces and used some Fat Cat® Strawberry Serrano Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes and some Nando's® Extra Hot Peri-Peri sauce (Thanks, Kerry!) on the scramble mess.



(This is a photo of the Usual Suspects rounded up.)


After breakfast, I strolled through the small (just two blocks long) Sunday Farmers Market along Clement Street. It's nice to have all these fresh produce and junk for sale, but wouldn't it be nice if they had some stalls that kids and pets could enjoy, too? Some comic books, candy bar, or doggie treats booths wouldn't kill ya, would they?!




Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Spinach Tomato Feta Scramble ~ 6.5; Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes ~ 7.5


1. Just because there was none yesterday, here are the Irish stupid, useless cunning linguist pointers of the day for these ingredients:

Spinach ~ "spionáiste"
Tomato ~ "trátaí"
Feta cheese ~ "cáis Feta" (I can only assume that "Feta" is the word for cheese in Irish)

Sorry, I have no idea how to pronounce any of these words. I am pretty sure that 80% of the Irish people don't know either.

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, part the second:

Garlic ~ "gairleog"
Basil ~ "basal" (don't let the spelling fool you, I am pretty sure that is pronounced as "Fawlty" in Irish)

3. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, thirdly:

Grapefruit ~ "seadóg"
Orange ~ "oráiste"
Pineapple ~ "anann"

4. For any of you non-Pagan believers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

5. Okay, I was just kidding. Here is that most awesomest, impromptued paean to helium-filled toys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB8K62jA7MI

For some reason I could not get the video to imbed here like the ones above, but, trust me, it is well worth listening to this link.

It is very easy to see that Ryan Adams would fall into the "Hardly Strictly" category of Bluegrass Music. You just know that this set must have driven the censors crazy during the live streaming webcast.

6. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, lastly:

Watermelon ~ "mealbhacán uisce"

No comments:

Post a Comment