Sunday, October 12, 2014

Dottie’s True blue café


"A dream you dream alone is only a dream.
A dream you dream together is a reality."  
~ John Winston Lennon

(And "A doughnut with no hole is a Danish." 
~ Ty Webb)



http://dotties.biz/


Place: Dottie's True blue café
Location: 28th Sixth Street (on the corner of Stevenson Street; halfway between Market and Mission Streets) 
Hours: open for breakfast Thursday through Monday at 7:30am
Meal: Three Egg Omelet with Roasted Garlic, Fresh Basil, and Jack Cheese ~ all egg dishes come with homefries and your choice of English muffin, house-made buttermilk dill or whole wheat toast; and a cuppa (and a few refillas) Coffee





(I am just continuing the juxtaselection theme from yesterday with more Playing For Change
EweToobular songs.

Please ignore that unidentified singer that pops in at 3:04 of the first video, I am sure he won't ever amount to much. The same goes for the homeless-looking guy singing at 2:27 of the second video; he really looks like he could use a good shampoo and haircut, too.)

http://playingforchange.com/


No workout of my Breakfastary Rotation would be complete without going back to Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from July 6th, 2014). I arrived there this morning about 7:20am and was still about the tenth person in line. Don't any of these touristas have anything better to do than get up for breakfast (and in a pretty sketchy neighborhood at that) so early on a Sunday morning?!

As always, there were several more very good ideas off the Weekend Specials chalkboard: Zucchini Cakes (topped with poached eggs & spicy Marinara sauce, with fruit & potatoes ~ this is probably my favourite of their specials, but I had that dish earlier this year on another visit and wanted to try something different); Sweet Potato, Caramelized Red Onion & Gruyere Tart (with eggs any style & fruit); Spinach-Provolone Strata (served with Italian sausage, roasted tomatoes, & fruit ~ I would have 86-ed the dead, decaying, ground-up porky offal, though); or Brie & Apricot Preserve Stuffed French Toast (with pure maple syrup ~ if I hadn't just had the World’s Best Pain Perdu yesterday for "Brunch", I probably would have gone with that one). I also thought about going with a much more simple meal of just an egg (or two) over medium with a side of homefries and one of their awesome fresh-baked pastries.




This omelette had lots of tasty roasted garlic in it; it would not be for the faint of garlic. It also had a lot of fresh chiffonade basil in it, too; however, the garlic really overpowered everything else. (Who chose these stupid ingredients?) I probably should have gone with a different flavour combination (there are about twenty-five different ingredients from which to choose): Kalamata olive, roasted garlic, and Feta would have worked nicely, I bet. Corn, spinach, and Bleu cheese may have been interesting, too. It's all good, though, as I love a lot of garlic, and roasting the garlic always makes them a lot more tender and sweeter. And the extra good news is that all that garlic really must have worked, as I haven't been bothered by a single Vampire all morning long, Mr. Blaskó.

For my toast/bread choice, I went with the optional option of Grilled Chili-Cheddar Cornbread. Home-made cornbread beats toast (or Mr. Thomas' baked goods) any day.

I like that Dottie's has a pretty decent selection of condimentary supplements: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (three types: the standard red, green jalapeño, or Chipotle); Frank's® RedHot Original; and Tapatío®. This way I don't have to schlep any of my own bottles of hot sauce with me for a change. I used some of the Tabasco® Chipotle all over the potatoes.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

On the drive back home, I heard a lot of the noisy little two-toned birds somewhere along Turk Street, between Laguna and Webster Streets. However, as I was driving, I really didn't get a chance to stop and look for any of them. I can only assume there is a small company of parrots in the trees around that neighborhood now, too.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Three Egg Omelet with Roasted Garlic, Fresh Basil, and Jack Cheese  ~ 6.7; Home-made Grilled Chili-Cheddar Cornbread ~ 7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment