Sunday, October 26, 2014

Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe

(Saturday, October 25th, 2014)


"Always have the confidence to speak your mind and the courage to stand behind your words." ~ A.N. Onymous




(No official web-site.)


Place: Cafe GoLo ~ Boutique Cafe
Location: 1602 Lombard Street (at Gough Street);
phonicular contact: (415) 673-4656
Hours:  open at 8:00am every day of the week
Meal: Spinach Scramble Omelet ~ eggs, spinach (nacherly), mushrooms, grilled onions, sausage, and cheese ~ served with toast and choice of potatoes or fruit; and a Pear-Apple Tart to start off the meal




(I really couldn't find a decent "Lo[w]" song to also use with today's EweToobular juxtaselections, so this one song will have to make do. I thought about using "The Lo[w] Spark of High Heeled Boys", but it weighs in ~ well, times in, whatever ~ at 12:10 and that is more than twice as long as it takes to read this stupid li'l 'blog-thing. We won't even speak of ever linking "Lo[w]down" by that idiot Boz Scaggs[1].)


Unlike last weekend, I didn't have any problem finding a parking spot yesterday just around the corner from Cafe GoLo ~ Boutique Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from July 4th, 2014). Almost all of the tables were full this morning (which isn't really saying much, as I think the entire front dining area only holds twenty-four or twenty-five people total) while I was there.

I have had just about all of their vegetarian-specific dishes thus far, but I think I have a few left yet to try: Breakfast Burrito (egg with tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cheese wrapped in a flour tortilla; I would probably go with the "Add potatoes" option, too) and Breakfast  Quesadilla (melted cheese with avocado, black bean and corn salsa, in a flour tortilla). Additionally, I am looking forward to trying the first dish that I ever had there again ~ Veggie Taters (country potatoes topped with sautéed onions, peppers, the vile weed, artichokes, mushrooms, zucchini, and cheese; I would, of course, order it without the vile weed).




The tasty, warmed-up Pear-Apple Tart came out first, but faster than you could say "pisan zapra[2]", Frank, the rest of the food arrived, too.

This was a very good scramble-omelette (whatever that is supposed to mean ~ I really was expecting some kind of Einstein-Rosen Bridge to open when eating it). Of course, I ordered it without the sausage junk. And, true to its name, it had lots of spinach in it. I think that it had lots of Parmesan cheese in it, too, as it had a creamy texture and taste to it. My toasty choice was sourdough bread. However, they didn't offer me a choice of either potatoes or fruit and just brought it to me with a side of pre-chosen potatoes (there really is no choice with me, I would always choose potatoes, anyway). Their homefries are always very good with both sweet potatoes and standard (non-sweet) potatoes in them.

I also got a Sweet Potato Tart and a Blueberry-Mango Tart to take home with me and enjoy later (that may just end up being my lunch and dinner today).

Cafe GoLo offers for condimentary supplementation Crystal® Louisiana's Pure Hot Sauce and a few other hot sauces. I used some of my own Florida Gold Premium Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Kerry!) on the potatoes and just for the heck of it (because I had it with me, anyway) I poured just a small amount of Dave's Gourmet® Ginger Peach Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cabin Jim!) on a piece of my Pear-Apple Tart. I didn't think that anyone had noticed, but I was totally busted by the guy at the next table who asked me if I had just actually poured some hot sauce on a pastry. I sheepishly explained to him that it was a ginger and peach hot sauce and the flavours would probably work well with the pear-apple (which they did, thank you very much). The strangest thing was that he agreed with me 100% and said it was probably a nice sweet-and-savoury combination, like Thai food, etc. Of course, when I offered him a piece to try it on his own, he wisely declined.

Before leaving, I made sure to ask Jay when they were planning on opening their new restaurant, Grits, in the Tenderloin, and he said they are now planning on a March 2015 opening. That is almost a year later than they first expected. But I suppose that is the way it goes in the Big City.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Spinach Scramble Omelet ~ 6.5; Pear-Apple Tart ~ 7.3


1. Why all my hatred for the moronic Patron Saint of the "Lido Shuffle"? 

One time back in the late 80's (this was just a little while before the idiot William Scaggs had opened Slim's down the block), a bunch of us got together for our normal Thursday Night out at Paradise Lounge to enjoy "A Walk on the Mild Side" while listening to the musical meanderings of the Dinos. We had arrived at the nightclub about an hour before the music began to be assured of scoring a decent table from which to watch and listen. There were about eight of us there and we were expecting two more friends (Hey, Bobby & Marie!) a little later on and wanted to make sure they had a spot to sit, too. We scoped out the primo table/booth in the corner of the main bar-stage area and crammed ourselves in as best we could. (Technically, this probably could seat six adults comfortably, but we just wanted a spot to use as a base of operations for the night, anyway.)

Well, some idiot happened to see that there was an open "space" at the end of the booth (not really, it was barely enough for a cheek) and asked if he could sit down at our table. We told him that we were actually saving the seat for two more friends of ours that would be coming by later. He said that he'd get up when they arrived. So we begrudgingly said "Okay". And then the idiot had the nerve to call another one of his buddies over to try and cram into the spot, too. The idiot then did the scootching-over thing and pissed off everyone else at the table. 

Luckily, someone at our table recognized the idiot as a "minor San Francisco celebrity" and we decided not to cause any sort of a fracas. Not only did he crowd us in, he was pretty loud and obnoxious while he sat there, too. The least the cheap fargin' bastage could have done was bought a round of drinks for the table. 

I still hate Boz Scaggs to this day and refuse to listen to any of his crappy music now. 

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

"Pisan zapra" is Malay for "the time needed to eat a banana". Now, I don't know if that means from the time you start peeling it until it has finished being eaten, but, either way, I am sure it is not meant to be a very lengthy period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment