Saturday, May 30, 2015

Corner Bakery Cafe ~ Market Street


"I wouldn't join any organization that would have me as a member." 
~ Groucho Marx



http://www.cornerbakerycafe.com/locations/ca/san-francisco/market-street


Place: corner bakery CAFE ~ Market Street
Location: 665 Market Street (between New Montgomery and 3rd Streets; well, technically on the corner of Market and Annie Streets, but Annie Street is really just an alley now-a-days)
Hours: open Monday-Friday at 6:30am, Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am
Meal: Anaheim Scrambler ~ freshly scrambled eggs with applewood smoked bacon, tomatoes, green onions, and Cheddar cheese, topped with avocado, served with harvest toast and choice of oven-roasted potatoes or fresh seasonal fruit; and a cuppa their CAFE europa (rich & sophisticated; an extravagant blend of Coffees from the Americas, Africa, and Indonesia)





(Once again, there is no real EweToobular juxtaselection with these songs and the breakfastary destination this morning. I just like Maria McKee and her doing covers of George Ivan songs ~ one of them from Them, even~ just makes it even better.)


I went to corner bakery CAFE ~ Market Street for breakfast this morning. I guess they are some kinda nationwide chain of bakery-restaurants, but this is the only one in town (a quick search shows that there are four others in the Bay Area). This was my first time eating breakfast or any other kind of meal there. They have the slogan on their menus: "Skip the Line. --> Order Online."… but isn’t that still using a "line"?!

This was a pretty decent-sized space. It had lots of tables for two and four people ~ probably enough seating for upwards of sixty or so; plus, there are four sidewalk/café tables along the Market side of the "corner".

For a national bakery-restaurant chain kinda place, they had a good enough selection for breakfast items for my liking. Some of the other ideas that I was looking at were: Anaheim Panini (freshly scrambled eggs, applewood smoked bacon, tomatoes, green onions, avocado, and Cheddar cheese on  grilled sourdough; this was basically the same meal that I ordered just in a sandwich version, anyway, but it didn't come with any potatoes); Avocado & Spinach Power Flat (scrambled eggs with fresh avocado and spinach, and Cheddar & Parmesan cheeses in a grilled multigrain flatbread); or Garden Gate Scrambler (freshly scrambled eggs with chicken apple sausage, fresh spinach, red bell peppers, mushrooms, and Cheddar cheese; which I would have ordered without the dead, decaying paltry poultry sausage stuff).




Of course, I got the scrambler without the bacon. There was nothing really special about this, but all the ingredients were fresh (and there was a good amount of avocado on top, which is always nice). I think that some actual "Anaheim" chillies[1] would have been a nice addition (and added a bit of heat and some extra flavour, too) and would have made complete sense with the name of the dish. 

Their oven-roasted potatoes were very good. I had gotten there just as they were opening and was told at first that the potatoes were not ready yet and that a side of fresh fruit was all that was available. Luckily the counter-ordering person-lady checked with the kitchen and the potatoes were actually ready. I was glad because they turned out to be pretty decent, too (even I can "cook" my own side of fruit at home if I ever want).

The harvest toast ended up being some kinda whole/multigrain bread with flax seeds and quinoa in it.




It was nice that there were four different roasts/blends of Coffee from which to choose. I tasted a little of the BAKER'S Blend first, but liked the CAFE europa better. It was a little stronger and more to my liking.

corner bakery CAFE had for condimentary supplementation: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce Original Red Sauce, Tapatio® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce, and Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. I just used some of my own Fat Cat® Surprisingly Mild Guajillo Ghost (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the potatoes and some Florida Gold Premium Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Kerry!) on the scrambler mess (I just hope the people of Anaheim forgive me for this blatant misuse of a Floridian product).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Anaheim Scrambler ~ 6.3


________________

1. http://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-types/sweet-mild-chili-peppers/anaheim-chili-peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment